Flares....

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Flares....

Post by bjmullan »

Looking forward to this one!
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
jevvy
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by jevvy »

Nice purchase, looking forward to seeing how this develops.
Darren65 wrote:...having passed through a number of owners with good intentions albeit no action and ultimately in a ghastly colour scheme.....I think I'm doing the right thing!
I think you are doing the right thing too! I think I might have actually been to look at that car quite a long time ago - will try to dig the pics out.
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

I received back my Certifcate of Production (formally a CoA) which confirmed my car has both matching numbers engine and gearbox, I guess it was too much to wish for a LSD!.....

.....not sure if that's a good or bad thing considering the circumstances although at least the car has had a colour change in the past! :roll:

Cheers,
Guy
DDK above all

Post by Guy »

Darren, did you need to supply Porsche with the engine and gearbox numbers to have them confirmed on the COP?
1977 Carrera 3.0
1974 Carrera 2.7 in bits.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Guy wrote:Darren, did you need to supply Porsche with the engine and gearbox numbers to have them confirmed on the COP?
No Guy, just reg and chassis numbers..... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/membershi ... production
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Silver with beige would have been an unusual combo, actually could be quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guy
DDK above all

Post by Guy »

Darren65 wrote:
Guy wrote:Darren, did you need to supply Porsche with the engine and gearbox numbers to have them confirmed on the COP?
No Guy, just reg and chassis numbers..... https://www.porscheclubgb.com/membershi ... production
Thanks Darren, good to know. I think in some other countries they now require you to supply the numbers before they will put them on the certificate.
1977 Carrera 3.0
Guy
DDK above all

Post by Guy »

Darren,

I reckon the COP is wrong (as many are) with the original colour. Should be able to tell from some hidden areas although doesn't matter if you are changing it anyway.
1977 Carrera 3.0
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Guy wrote:.....I reckon the COP is wrong (as many are) with the original colour.......
.....thanks Guy although my tongue was firmly in my cheek regarding the COP and would suggest the car is largely original paint and would clean up as new in the boot and engine bay areas. Sienna it always has been.

I pointed out the error to PCGB who suggested I contact Porsche Germany as the 'hand written' information they have clearly states Z2Z2 Silver Metallic........wouldn't be a bad thing if I was keepng the car 'original' as I'd much prefer silver to the current dirty brown/reddish colour and painted that way no one could prove it was wrong! :)

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

A topic close to my heart......

....knowing little about G-series vehicles I'm keen to discover the differences between early steering wheels.....I've read about early 'fat' wheels although nothing conclusive and would appreciate any guidance regarding the subtle differences there may have been, specific part numbers, dimensions etc.......all information is greatly appreciated?

I guess I could recover the current rather sorry looking wheel in the car although I'd prefer to find (if possible) a nice original 3.0RS type wheel.....

Cheers,
Guy
DDK above all

Post by Guy »

The Carrera 2.7 and 3.0RS wheel differed in that the hub was in the centre of the wheel and as you say had a slightly thicker grip.

On the Carrera 3, as in your photo the hub is moved to 10mm below the centre of the wheel to provide a better view of the instruments.
1977 Carrera 3.0
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

As well as a slightly fatter rim, the 3.0RS steering wheel had the splined section exactly in the centre of the wheel whereas the standard production wheel was offset (lower in the 'straight ahead' position) so that the view of the gauges wasn't obscured.

I've never seen a 3.0RS wheel with a date code later than Feb '75 so not that many were made ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Guy
DDK above all

Post by Guy »

Doing a bit of measuring the grip is 29.5 mm on the early wheel and 26.5 mm on the later offset one.
1977 Carrera 3.0
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I can't remember where I saved this picture from but it shows the difference between the '74/'75 'fat grip' leather steering wheel (as used on the 'std' 3.0RS) on the left compared to the '75-on leather wheel on the right:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

My early ‘76 C3 has the concentric fat rim wheel fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk