Break down- fuel problems???

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

SeanP
I luv DDK!

Re: Break down- fuel problems???

Post by SeanP »

mycar wrote:Bubbles in the fuel are not necessarily a problem.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... =1&t=27960&
Interesting thread. Supports my hunch of a weak or failing fuel pump.
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Have you tried replacing the condenser and coil. Also since you were going around a around about have you checked the live from the ignition switch to the coil? I had an issue like this in my 356 and it was the wiring on the ignition switch as the positive from the battery goes via there. Can you replicate the bad running by running the car in the garage for 10 mins (above idle)?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Thanks all. I'm going to order a pump rebuild kit although I know it's not that old anyway but worth a go.
I've got a small in line filter (plastic type) that I'm also going to replace. Will give that a go and if no good start exploring the other suggestions.
912uk

Post by 912uk »

Hi Budd... still issues??
have to have a catch up soon.. I've not used my car in months..... keep finding too many other things to do LOL.. Running, Cycling, Kitesurfing, Building wooden boats, sailing, Building VW camper vans oh... yes and working :lol:
dlampard
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by dlampard »

Hi Mark. I don't get out in mine much which is probably half the problem. Probably a good time to sell soon as it gets little to no use tbh. Managed to rebuild the fuel pump today and add a new inline filter but didn't get time to test drive it.
wildtexas
DDK slapper chatter

Post by wildtexas »

dlampard wrote:Hi Mark. I don't get out in mine much which is probably half the problem. Probably a good time to sell soon as it gets little to no use tbh. Managed to rebuild the fuel pump today and add a new inline filter but didn't get time to test drive it.

Where did you get to with this? I was having a bit more of a think on it and fuel filter location specifically as I am going to move mine out of the engine bay for safety's sake.

I came across a thread on Pelican regarding the fuel filter before the pump causing a pressure drop and hence vapour lock, and though it might apply, I.e. Should the filter be before or after the fuel pump.

Having said that I ran the fuel filter before a mechanical pump on countless vws and my 912 without issue.

Just a thought. Matt
912uk

Post by 912uk »

it's funny for years i have avoided the primper pump for these cars and yet I find my self looking at buying one.. long time between starts doesn't help..

I mean I know your fuel lines are good but still never bank on it.. they can degrade esp new rubber doesn't last like the old stuff did that must be to due to materials they use.. you could have a fuel hose colapse on it's self, are your floats set right level.. ? i have a tool for that.. mind you we both know you built your engine and this really should all be sorted.. what about the metal mesh filter IN the fuel tank? that might be part blocked and only getting say 70% of fuel though and starving the engine..

that filter is often glazed over with old fuel