So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Post by gridgway »

I love stats... But I'm afraid that is such a basic error. The fact that the average of miles traveled per day is 7 (if it is) doesn't mean that anyone travels 7 miles in a day!

Depends on how that average is calculated, but it's probably annual mileage divided by days in a year. At 10k miles that's more than 7, but it doesn't matter.

The problem here is that this stuff takes clever experts to work out. Armchair cleverists like us just can't do it.

We used to trust that there were boffins on the case of such things. The populists have decried experts, so we should be doomed.

But I suspect that the smart entrepreneurs will sort it for us, so it'll all be fine!

Graham
keith fellowes wrote:I'd love to know how the average car journey per day is only 7 miles? That must be 3.5 miles each way? Where are they going?

You want to be on the M3 and M4 at 6am each day with commuters going to London from Southampton, Bristol and Reading. They may well get to work but unless the infrastructure at work is in place, they ain't getting home.
'Take the train' I hear you say. Have you been on Southern Region recently? Standing room only, if you can get on the train.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Remember... It's not just pure EV that can be sold ... Hybrids can be too so the demise of an actual petrol or diesel motor isn't a definite

Tech will develop and I imagine we will end up with a mixture of pure EVs and range capable hybrid styles .

Who knows.

I waiting to hear the 1st stories of home modifiers electrocuting themselves whilst modding their EV's :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Adrian3
Married to the DDK

Post by Adrian3 »

we can bat stats back and for all day....i feel that several game changers are needed before EV's become widespread....if only we'd invested in the regions and promoted localism and generally been less profligate with using the dinosaur juice, we'd probably not need to go down this road. I guess this is all down to the Paris agreement, which doesn't even include shipping and aviation....its going to take a massive game-changer to sort clean aviation.
2040 is only a target, it'll change many times....eventually the juice will run out and only then will we change....and, by then, the people's mindset will have changed anyway.
Let's face it, how often do you see classic cars being used and i'm as guilty as anyone....so why should the Government worry about our sensibilities?
Anyway, must dash, thinking of adding a ninth(?) classic to the stable.
Adrian Rendle
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

I've got more faith in the pace of technology than the pace of governments sorting things out. New disruptive technology has a habit of becoming mainstream very quickly nowadays. The iPhone is only 10 years old and very quickly everyone had a smart phone in their pockets. The Nissan Leaf was arguably the first mass production 100% electric car and has only been out a little over 5 years, now every manufacturer has an EV in their range. Watch the speed in which this arena now takes off in the next 5 years now the big manufacturers have finally got on board. 23 years (2040) is a very long time for technological developments in batteries, charging and distributed generation technology.

Change is coming, and with the fact that the acceleration, braking and handling of electric cars is far better than ICE I for one can't wait to see what the future brings coming purely from a car nut. Cars are going to be a whole lot better (apart from the whole autonomous driving crap!).

It's weird, but every time I have to drive an ICE car it's like I'm going back to the dark age riding a donkey, it seems so archaic and agricultural, which as a classic car nut I thought I'd never say that, but it's true - petrol/diesel cars just feel like driving an antique tractor to me now. :lol:

I wonder how the conversations went 120 years back when there was the change from horse to cars. :lol: "What?? are you trying to tell me that in 20 years everyone is going to be driving one of those complicated death traps? ridiculous!! Where will all the metal come from to build them? Where will people fill up with petrol there's no network of petrol stations? Where will the petrol come from? and don't tell me we're going to drill deep into the earth and pull this black stuff out of the desert half way around the world, then put it on a boat bring it over here, refine it, transport it to somewhere local where we can then pour it into your car. Ridiculous - it'll never take off. I'll stick with my horse :lol: "
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

:cheers: :cheers:
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

Youh
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

moggy wrote: It's weird, but every time I have to drive an ICE car it's like I'm going back to the dark age riding a donkey, it seems so archaic and agricultural, which as a classic car nut I thought I'd never say that, but it's true - petrol/diesel cars just feel like driving an antique tractor to me now. :lol:
A bit of an exaggeration - but that's basically why I (we ?) like driving 'old' cars ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

In 1894 London faced a similar situation with horse manure. As for electrifying classic cars like a 911, crashing one with the extra weight in all the wrong places is scary.
Ethanol based fuel will be more popular as it can be grown locally.
Scene tax
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The engineers will run far far faster than the politicians.
They have no boundaries. Politicians have masses of barriers, and 5 years.
That is the issue here, not much else.

As to hydrogen, Honda make them, California is buying them, so that means anything is possible.
Maybe chemistry is better than volts?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
964RS

Post by 964RS »

moggy wrote:Ahhhh :shock: Looks like I'm going to have to staff up, again :cheers:

As someone who's been driving hybrids and EVs for the past 10 years I think we've now arrived at the tipping point where EVs are no longer a novelty for the rich eco warrior or a tech toy for the early adopters. They are now a very viable alternative already for a lot of the population. Not in 23 years time but NOW.
It's only partially viable now as there are only 100k electric vehicles.

There are 30 million cars in U.K. alone. If all those were electric NOW how viable do you think it would be?

It wouldn't. It works now as it's still a bit of a novelty for people who like novelty cars.

For it to be nationwide accepted will take massive infrastructure changes.

All the manufacturers saying they can make them is not the issue. Once they've sold them it's not their problem.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

:lol:
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

If you've fathomed the Photobucket fkup I think you should post a picture of what you mean James..... :shock: :lol:
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Edited as I shouldn't post whlist the vodka is still flowing ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

When the Mongrel first went on the road I was running megaphones, stupid noisey and a little embarrassing but fun in the right places...

....early days I'll always remember stopping at Majestic Wine in the middle of Cirencester on the way home to buy someone a present. As I pulled into the small car park a guy parked up behind me in a Teslar, as we both got out he gave me the filthiest of filthy looks. Chalk and cheese!

A quick purchase later I started the Mongrel, set the alarm off on the Volvo I parked next too and couldn't resist giving it full beans down the narrow building lined street as I left, maximum noise!

Pathetic, schoolboy, childish and so, so immature......

:)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

....also remember the time we left Rouen on the way home from CLM.......going through the tunnels Jason kept accelarting and lifting in his RSR, the backfire sounding like a massive gunshot!....

....Peter pulled alongside me and we looked at each other laughing our heads off! :lol:

Happy days! :)