So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: So .. Sales of new petrol and diesel powered cars banned

Post by Nige »

Got my outfit ready.

Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Global warming has a long way to go for that scene to be Derbyshire (Except December Saturday nights in Chesvegas).
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Nige

Post by Nige »

Don't ruin the dream!
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 15036.html

We'll need to generate electricity some how to charge all these electric cars

As of this mornings announcement world producer China can supply us with all the copper cables we need at a new contrived high price

https://www.ft.com/content/fc8f0d02-bc3 ... f506b7b653

Taxes, Taxes....they'll pay for all of this I'm certain.

I'm with Nige, anyone know of a Ford Falcon XB GT coupe V8 Interceptor for sale :wink:
@classiccarguru1
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Interesting debate, ploughed over many times and many more times to come.
The Engineers will pull this through, driven and enabled by real entrepreneurs.
The car companies old and new will have the product, boring taxi autonomous to racy Big Battery self drives.

Governments will falter and fail to keep up globally.

There are lots of ways to produce 'green' electricity, wave generators off the deep coasts of Scotland will do the trick, build those in the oil rig industries, simple, but balls needed to do it and speed of action.
Engineers can do the first bit, Government will stifle the second as they grapple with tax loss, population opinion and asking those Think-Tanks full of boffins, you know, the ones who said Diesel is great and you pay less tax if you run one as a company car....brilliant people.

I'll be dead when you can't buy a fossil fuel car, driving will be a hobby for the rich, and the masses have given up on mobility freedom we are all addicted to for the big screen in front of us.

In the mean time I'm keen to see electric cars (or hydrogen) progress in the next 10 years, and fully expect my last car will be all volts for everything.
Electric cars will not be boring any more than there are boring petrol cars today.
There will be a 'TVR' and a VW Up! to choose from, they will all be great.

National infrastructure opportunities has all gone past by now.
There will be a few fights between systems, just as there was with Betamax and VHF cassette formats, so eventually there will be a Standard Charge head and receiver.

Governments should have organised all this by now so such a standard structure can be deployed quickly, but what if electric is in fact not the way forward, not 'future-proof'?

As I said, Big Balls needed by a Government.
Can you see May or Corbyn getting going on this? (or any UK politician), May is busy guarding her back and Corbyn is busy groovin' to the tunes wiv the Kids.

Not much leadership there, so get the likes of Dyson and Virgin un-leashed.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

An awful lot can happen on 20 years! The current (pardon the pun) headlong rush to batteries may prove to be an interim solution - except that the vast infrastructure costs involved will make any alternative politically unpalatable. Certainly interesting times ahead!
More depressing is the report to have all internal combustion engines off the road 10 years after but then I'll be dead by then.
But many things can change the last labour prime minister said diesel cars would completely replace petrol cars within 10 years!

Come to think of it I agree with Winston's earlier post!

Tony
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Tony wrote: Come to think of it I agree with Winston's earlier post!

Tony
Me too! - the question is not how can we continue to power 30 million cars, it is why are we all driving everywhere anyway? Bikes and on foot, or stay at home (in your local community, and speak to people).

Deliveries by uber efficient mega trains, local electric vans, and drones. Less consumerism, no more landfill. No more flying battery materials (and kiwi fruit) around the globe..down with cars!
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

911hillclimber wrote:Interesting debate, ploughed over many times and many more times to come.
The Engineers will pull this through, driven and enabled by real entrepreneurs.
The car companies old and new will have the product, boring taxi autonomous to racy Big Battery self drives.

Governments will falter and fail to keep up globally.

There are lots of ways to produce 'green' electricity, wave generators off the deep coasts of Scotland will do the trick, build those in the oil rig industries, simple, but balls needed to do it and speed of action.
Engineers can do the first bit, Government will stifle the second as they grapple with tax loss, population opinion and asking those Think-Tanks full of boffins, you know, the ones who said Diesel is great and you pay less tax if you run one as a company car....brilliant people.

I'll be dead when you can't buy a fossil fuel car, driving will be a hobby for the rich, and the masses have given up on mobility freedom we are all addicted to for the big screen in front of us.

In the mean time I'm keen to see electric cars (or hydrogen) progress in the next 10 years, and fully expect my last car will be all volts for everything.
Electric cars will not be boring any more than there are boring petrol cars today.
There will be a 'TVR' and a VW Up! to choose from, they will all be great.

National infrastructure opportunities has all gone past by now.
There will be a few fights between systems, just as there was with Betamax and VHF cassette formats, so eventually there will be a Standard Charge head and receiver.

Governments should have organised all this by now so such a standard structure can be deployed quickly, but what if electric is in fact not the way forward, not 'future-proof'?

As I said, Big Balls needed by a Government.
Can you see May or Corbyn getting going on this? (or any UK politician), May is busy guarding her back and Corbyn is busy groovin' to the tunes wiv the Kids.

Not much leadership there, so get the likes of Dyson and Virgin un-leashed.

But trust me on the Sunscreen
@classiccarguru1
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Don't worry you can still have a Porsche :)

Time to start building those nuclear powerstations then? Renewables can't cover our current power consumption much less when we all plug in our cars each night.
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

I'm afraid to say those of us who want to own a car are dinosaurs. Mobility solutions are the future and that's buying into the brand not the metal box on wheels. Working with the car industry I can see it's beginning to happen already in the background. It's going to be messy but it's coming...
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

There are ideas already out there, such as this...http://www.riversimple.com. Weening us off ownership/possession and the "freedom of the open road" stuff is a challenge but as we already know, other than on a track, exploring anything close to the limits of your cars potential is impossible. Yet..., the country with the highest per capita Lamborghini ownership: Singapore, where due to apps/numerous cabs and mass transit, it's very doable not to have a car. Different inconveniences like having to wait for the cab rather than hopping in the car but then delayed finding a parking spot.

I gather the big car manufacturers are working on standardising charging heads already. It was a rarity but a few weeks back, there was a point when over half of the UK electricity demand was met renewably, Germany gets much higher percentages.

Efficient, green batteries are the next big challenge, i.e. Those not dependent on rare earth metals etc. If I could get my head around the pricing, my wife would have us in a Tesla as a next car.
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

I love the logic of it. I won't be able to drive in France or Britain. But I can take my 250l per hour diesel yacht no problem and use Red diesel in the UK whilst I am there for "heating" and inland mooching as it takes 8500l to fill.
Scene tax
hot66

Post by hot66 »

It appears hybrids are allowed ... so a cheap version of the mclaren P1 or porsche 918 please
Might not be so bad after all
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Jeremy 356 (Jez 356)
DDK above all

Post by Jeremy 356 (Jez 356) »

I suspect that it will be a rerun of when the horse was phased out and cars took over - we still have horses but only for leisure activities. Although it might be easier to find horse food than fuel !

Was there not a news story on something being teleported into the space station - this might of course be the ultimate solution - just make sure there is not a fly in there with you !!!

In the meantime, I intend to get as many miles under my belt with my old car - and then when the motor needs replacing I will contact Moggy about a more suitable power source !!!

Regards Jeremy
1956 356A
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Ahhhh :shock: Looks like I'm going to have to staff up, again :cheers:

As someone who's been driving hybrids and EVs for the past 10 years I think we've now arrived at the tipping point where EVs are no longer a novelty for the rich eco warrior or a tech toy for the early adopters. They are now a very viable alternative already for a lot of the population. Not in 23 years time but NOW. OK, there's improvements still to be made in charging infrastructure and there's still some that EVs aren't practical for yet but it will come. From being in the EV world for a while now it's clear that on average about 95% of charging is done at home, 4.5% at destination (e.g. work or Ikea etc) and the 0.5% are on-route charging, but everyone always seems to get hung up about the on-route bit, which to most EV owners is something that is hardly used. However for it to be mass market adopted this is certainly one element that needs to improve.

There's still a huge educational campaign that needs to happen to enlighten a lot of people about EVs. Range anxiety for one. The average distance traveled in a car journey in the UK is 7 miles. I've got a friend who's just got back from holiday in Italy in his Tesla so range issues are starting to disappear, and have done for me since I built the last car with 200 mile range. From an pure economics point of view I know of a family around here that bought a secondhand Nissan Leaf for a song and are now saving a pretty packet on fuel, tax, insurance, enough for them to go on holiday this year 8)

I personally think that the manufacturers would do well to market the EVs as fun and not from an eco perspective. Currently IMO Leaf's, Zoe's and I3 (and TBH most modern cars) are soul-less and boring to drive. Someone needs to do what VW did with the Golf GTi and re-invent the hot hatch with a balls out electric motor in, 0-60 in 6 seconds and 250 mile range. It needs a game changer like that which would appeal to the petrol heads rather than the eco heads. If I can build it out of a 1973 Beetle surely one of the big guns can do it. Electric cars do NOT have to be boring. In reality EVs should be bloody fast and fun to drive but for some reason the marketing morons and design people think they should be marketed as the planets saviour and have a nice eco button with a picture of a leaf on it, or a dashboard that should how many trees you've saved as you drive along. BOLLOCKS!!!! give me nuts acceleration and weight distribution in the floorpan for outstanding handling any day :lol:

The days of burning dead dinosaur juice in cars is soon to end, and amen to that :cheers: