Sitting with Chris Turner

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Sitting with Chris Turner

Post by 210bhp »

To the best of my knowledge I have not met Chris in person but I am moved by the thoughts and best wishes by the ddk family for his wellbeing and the affection you all have for what is obviously a well loved and generous man.

All best thoughts for Chris and family.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have not met Chris personally, but remember his simple graphic for his business in the very first years of my Porsche experience in '88.
Recently I blew my 3.2 to bits and Chris got me parts instantly and for free!
Only a few months ago I was looking for camera advice and he made a very generous off of help in response to my thread on here and he has never met me.

I think these acts for me sum this man up, generous and quick to act to help people.
Real human qualities.
If you are reading this Chris, I wish you every luck to recover.
Graham, 911hillclimber.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
mzuberbuehler
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by mzuberbuehler »

Hi Chris

Almost 10 years ago, when I still lived in central London and had just imported my 73 2.4T MFI from the US, you very kindly helped me out with a new starter motor. You recommendation to get a stronger version was much appreciated. Has never stopped cranking since!

Wish you good health and best regards from Switzerland,
Marius
1973 911 (S)T
2015 LR 110 Heritage
2010 LR Freelander
2007 LR D3
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Really saddened to hear of Chris's health issues. I have only met Chris a handful of times at Le Mas but it was obvious that he is passionate about the cars and the people.

Thinking of you and your family. Xx.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

My first memories of Chris are as a child and seeing his little ads in my father's copies of exchange and mart.
Then as a poor student with a 2.2s he very kindly let me do the work on my own car but under his supervision and in his garage to keep the cost down.
Good chat about hi-fis too.
As has been said ......great chap probably deserves the title of LEGEND!
Chris, get well.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Ian Donkin wrote:I remember him spiritedly driving his diesel Skoda around Goodwood a few times at Paul's 50th bash; that tickled me.
Yep, madness, but it happened. :)
Only Chris could think a Skoda diesel would be an ideal track-day contender. Mind you it was well driven and I'm sure I recall him overtaking me in my 993RS.... :lol:

Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Happy days. Chris with a Guinness in hand (at the Fairmile). :)

Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
MonkeyChap
I luv DDK!

Post by MonkeyChap »

Chris has got me out of deep water with my own ham-fist DIY car repairs on more than one occasion. Always helpful. Proper expert.

Best wishes Chris if you're reading this !
Ian
'84 Carrera
'71 2.2S (long gone)
'65 Spitfire
'06 RS4 Avant
alanjf
DDK Fanatic

Post by alanjf »

Chris, Meeting you at Fairmile has been a highlight of 911 ownership, from getting advice before I bought my first Porsche, to you offering to listen to my rough running 911 on a cold wet night. You immediately diagnosed not using it enough which meant it was running rich and fouling the plugs. Lesson learnt get out and drive it!

Wishing you all the best. Alan
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

Hi Chris
Dad would like to reiterate how grateful we are for all the help, advice and support over the years.
Both in business and personally.
I would like to add. Especially offering to help my grumpy dad out when I was ill

You are, as mentioned above by numerous people, a true tractor driving gent and we are proud to consider you a friend.

I cannot for the life of me understand the love for Skoda's right back to that rear engined fast back
these guys may not know of... despite the passionate descriptions of driving them... must be those down to earth Brummie roots!
...but everything else I have been listening

& that aforementioned "original" "patinated" Targa
Only thing missing from that sales pitch was "barnfind" lol
Btw have you Found where are all these barns are yet ;)

We are thinking of you and yours
Much love
Cris & Crispin

(Op & Suzanne, On a practical note If there is anything we can do to help, please have someone contact us you know where we are)
http://www.911rrr.com

Baltic 3.2 Carrera
Ornamental 911 Gulf RS 3.4 hotrod...
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I've just heard the Sad news on Facebook...

Chris has always been a happy soul in the Porsche world..Always had kind words and the respect of the 912's & 356's Flat 4 often over looked in the 911 madness... I wouldn't have come all the way up to his neck of the woods for the local meetings if it wasn't him.. and the Christmas do's..

He and his wife where so kind letting me stop over at his house ( I think 3 times! ) so I could make the Christmas do's up in London... I will always be thankful for the invitation.. I am so sad to hear he is unwell... It's just not fair, he's one of the good ones.

He also advised me about the 996 Turbo Cab I pulled up in at this place for him to give it the once over before buying.. he helped me dodge a bullet there with it's hidden engine issue. So I walked away to buy some thing else.. thank you..

Chris.. your always be one of the good guys.. don't ever forget that..... even if you did leave that loose nut on our 944 Cab after the service, making my battery go flat and I had to push it in a traffic jam to bump start it in Gloucester :lol: :lol: .... then carry a battery in my bag to the hotel room to charge it over night.. the lady in the hotel said can I take your bag!! I just had to say no!!.. knowing it had a 944 car battery in it!! the holder straps where straining at the weight.. she led my wife and I to the room and boy that room couldn't been the furthest room away from the front desk!!!!! so I could put the dead battery on charge over night to get home... my arm was dead LOL.... once home I set about looking at the fault and there it was ... that lose " + " nut to the starter motor wire... LOL... I can laugh now.. keep smiling Chris.. you are a top guy.. I am so sorry to hear of the news... always in my thoughts when driving my cars.. 8)

This has motivated me to get back on the 356 Pre A ......
Rosh
DDK addict

Post by Rosh »

Sorry to hear things haven't got better Chris.

Best wishes to you and the family.

Thanks for always being at the end of the phone to answer silly questions, and to give advice. Your advice got my 911T up and running while in Chamonix, and I drove it back to the Uk with it not skipping a beat.

You've always gone above and beyond, wether it be keeping the car for longer than expected when I've been called away abroad, or dropping everything to come and rescue me opposite the Westfield shopping centre as the car didn't quite make it to your place for a service!

Thanks again Chris, thinking of you.

Rosh
1969 911T Coupe
1980 911SC Coupe
1979 308GTS
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

Never met Chris, but I agree he's a proper gentleman.

He sold be a rare(ish) RHD H1 highlight once. I'd been looking for ages for one that I could afford, and Chris popped up and sold me one at an amazing price. When I spoke with him, he knew he could get more for it, but he just wanted to be fair and help me out.

A genuine fella . . . . the world needs more people like him.
revival-cars
DDK forever

Post by revival-cars »

A professional and true gentleman, inspirational.

Your Junior diesel poster still has pride of place on the workshop wall Chris

Very best wishes, Max
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

early_911 wrote:Never met Chris, but I agree he's a proper gentleman.

He sold be a rare(ish) RHD H1 highlight once. I'd been looking for ages for one that I could afford, and Chris popped up and sold me one at an amazing price. When I spoke with him, he knew he could get more for it, but he just wanted to be fair and help me out.

A genuine fella . . . . the world needs more people like him.
Likewise with a part for my MFI pump.

A true gent - best wishes.

Ralph.