Terrot MT1 Motorcycle restoration project

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Terrot MT1 Motorcycle restoration project

Post by 911hillclimber »

I don't like that either!
I have to make a new loom for this Terrot as it has gone missing along with the rear light.
Apparently, a length of trailer multi cable is the best.
I won't like the 7 wires let alone your 700!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

I was really tempted by a motogadget m-unit v2 for my car to simplify things BUT the wiring is all barse-ackwards for me (switch to ground vs switched +12v, etc) and the current handling too low for a few things im running...

Might be a neat and tidy option for you though?
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

This bike has a very minimalist 6V system direct off the generator, so the more revs you have the brighter the headlamp....
The lights are on permanently while the engine runs, no speedo, no instruments just ignition and lights. I'm adding a brake light though, a popular mod even with the purists.

Trying to get to the end of the paint! Bloody messy process, garage is covered.

Decided on a two tone tank, blue on top, black underneath.

Black went on today, all rattle cans. Most impressed by Upol products. Solvents are a bit heady even with a good 3M mask on. :drunken:
You can clearly see my environmentally controlled spray booth is ultra hi-tech... :blackeye:

The aluminium side flashes which looked a bit worst for wear have sanded and polished up well.
On the tank there will be a few local areas of bright red that will show through the cut-outs in these pressings, standard factory, but adds a lot to the tank.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Autosparks of Nottingham do looms for most cars and bikes and also supply all the different colours and insulation material of wire as well as a range of cable straps, grommets and anything else you might need. They're a really old company and very helpful.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks Ashley, I need to do the loom in 'period' but have little idea what a French wiring loom might look like in 1950.
The connector sizes look different, but I hope normal motorcycle fittings will be ok.
Before I got the Terrot, somebody neatly took the loom from the bike with the very unique rear light unit but left the classy headlamp in tact..

Tomorrow will be cold, so I have got the blue on the tank and this marks the END of the painting on this Terrot!

The paint now needs to fully dry/harden before cutting and polish followed by a 2K fuel resistant clear coat in about 4 weeks time when all the solvent has evaporated.
The Brake shoes are being re-lined in modern materials locally. The rear shoes are original and still 118mm 'diameter'. The fronts are a bit more worn, but not by much.

My plan now is to get the engine apart, re-worked where required and in the frame so the bike built can be completed.

I have now cleaned the garage! SO much better to work in now the paint is done.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Now the temperature has dropped to 2 deg C I thought a stint in the garage was called for..

The engine is next.

5 bhp of 2 stroke, 100cc French engineering and very different to my Lambretta 2 stroke experience!
Took the cover off to look at the clutch and to see what condition it might be in with all my fingers and spanners crossed for luck.

No oil inside and dry as a bone. It seems someone else has been in here recently!
Two of the cheese headed screws were very tight, the others less so, but all out safely, all threads good.
The clutch assembly looks nice and with some 'non-factory' copper locking wires in place, but neatly done all the same.
The clutch releases nicely by hand so might simply leave it.

The output drive sprocket is a bit rough, and ages ago someone lost the retaining circlip and tried to weld it onto the shaft!
A bit of careful filing and it was off, but a better one would be good.

The magneto outer of course is very tight onto the crank and I'll need to make a 2 leg extractor to get it off. As with most bikes, if you have the special M30 threaded collar and extraction bolt it is easy, but I don't so will make something to get it off the crank taper. The Lambretta tool I have is 2mm too small and the thread a weird pitch.
Job for tomorrow with a bit of welding and a swear word or 3 and that will be off.

The rear engine mount has broken off at some time and the crank cases need welding forcing me to split the engine open.
The spark plug looks quite strange, but is in good condition.

I think there will be some trouble ahead. :lol:

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Lovely looking little motor, and great job on the tank!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks on the paint!
The engine is a delight as are all these bike 2 strokes, small neat and light, everything is 1/2 size to a 911 engine.
My previous Honda cb175 engine was simply a jewel of an engine, and so good to rebuild.

Being a 2 stroke I must be sure the primary compression is strong so I am expecting to change the crank seals and this is tricky.
I'm dreading the gearbox split and re assembly...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

Interestingly enough I have also just bought a Terrot - a 1956 125 cc EMS 4 stroke. It is basically sound but has a fair amount of surface rust. It looks as though it was the subject of a stalled restoration as the bike has been loosely assembled and some parts are in the accompanying bag of bits! To date I have stripped the bike and am now sorting out those things for painting, and others for chroming whilst I source new cables and pedal rubbers.

I'm enjoying your rebuild as you're several steps ahead of me.

Roger
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That bike is a few rungs up the ladder to my MT1 and one appeared on ebay about 3 weeks after buying mine!
Maybe it is now yours!!
The challenge to me is there are no sources of new parts unless you find NOS, for the MT1
The 125 was a more popular bike I think.

You stand a chance of overtaking me during my restoration 'pace' as well as on the road! :)

Major tick today was getting the bike finally given a registration from the DVLA after a few hurdles recently. :drunken:
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
roger
DDK slapper chatter

Post by roger »

The bike was delivered to me last week having won it on Ebay at the end of December.

I've had fun with the NOVA application. At one point it asks what type of vehicle it is? So "motorcycle" says I. Then it asked if it is right hand or left hand drive! As its French I put left hand drive. I then received a message to say the application was successful but was immediately advised that I had a secure message (probably about the fee). I followed to the letter the instructions on how to retrieve the message but there is no message, or even an area for messages. Don't you just love government software development. I've yet to attempt the registration......but await the pack with some trepidation, although a lovely lady who rejoices under the name of "sidecar Liz" has offered help. :wink:

I think you're right about availability of parts as I have found a number of French suppliers of "new" bits for mine and the (English) couple I bought the bike from in Domfront have said they will help with sourcing bits, either from trade suppliers of from secondhand bike jumbles. It might be worth you letting me know what bits you need and I can ask them to keep a look out on their travels.

This is quite a departure for me as I've never owned a bike before and have just spent the last 6 years helping get a Southern Region steam locomotive (92 Squadron 34081) back into service. However, with the Gilbern taking most of the space in my garage and a desire for another project, it seemed the ideal solution. I am fortunate though as I have a couple of friends who are old bike fanatics who can help and advise.

Roger
Roger -
1971 Gilbern Invader Mark II
1956 Terrot 125 EMS
2015 Skoda Octavia Estate
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I think I know that couple!
They had a few French bikes at the Dec Classic Bike Show.
A lot of these bike are coming into the UK now as they are cheap in France (for a while) and some of them exempt from MoT/Tax etc and simple in construction.

A lot of small BSA parts can be used, ie rubbers etc.

Nova's are tricky, but these bikes are VAT free. The dealer I bought (erroneously) from did the Nova in 2 hours....

On the registration, you have a good size form to fill in asking a million questions on emissions etc to which the answers 'are do not know'.
My bike is LHD too! It is a 'catch-all' form so largely pointless questions for these bikes.
DVLA (get their registration pack by on-line /post) are actually really good and not too slow.
If you are lucky and accurate you will be registered in 2 weeks or less.

These bikes are a good antidote to heavy stuff and great when done.
This is my 3rd 2 wheel winter project, I did a classic Barlotti Kart before that.

There are more parts for your bike than mine on ebay, France. Type in 'Terrot pieces' and there they are. Someone has just parted-out his 125.
Another good place to join is Terrot.org a sort of DDK type of place and full of printable information, workshop manuals etc. Right click 'Bing' to get an instant translation.

I am running this thread on there too.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Another 3 hours spent on the bike this afternoon.

I looked at a few YouTube clips about flywheel removal and tried one of the ideas. One sharp tap with the hammer and the wheel just popped off!
It will be a game timing the engine up, but did the same on my Lambretta, so will follow that 2 stroke theory.

Now uncovered, I gave the whole electrical side of the engine down with a very good dose of brake and clutch cleaner and the lot cleaned-up really well. The contact breakers are 'unique' design, all very neat like the rest of the engine.
I removed the head, 4 bolts were finger tight (!) and no gasket. No wonder the compression was light.
Pulled the barrel off (one of the barrel studs was broken) and took a deep breath to look at the barrel bore for scores, marks bits missing etc (I had all this on the Lambretta and the Honda) but good grief!
No damage to the bore, or the piston just a light carbon deposit! Very pleased with this as getting parts would be really hard.
The two piston rings freed-up with a little working of WD40 and a hot air gun. Both ring pins are in place and the piston is standard size.

I will have to hand-make the gaskets for this engine as non are available, so will use a thin copper sheet for the head, papers for all the others.
The inside of the little gearbox looks fantastic, all clean, no damage so another BIG bonus for this rebuild.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Wife went shopping today, so had almost 8 hours on the bike.
Plan was to split the crankcase/gearbox so I can prepare the casting for repairs to the mounting bosses. The engine was essentially held in the frame by one mounting, not 3!

Some of the parts were on TIGHT. Gear on the crank and various other parts were a good fight, but heat, the right tools and a few swear words and all came free.
The whole engine/box is beautifully made with only some hard wear on one gear (I suspect second) showing some hard use.
The clutch is nice with all cork pads looking god and a nice thickness so will be re-used after some of the rust is cleaned off the discs. My Honda was like this; how a clutch submerged in oil can rust is a bit strange.

I also took the carb apart. It looks good but the top where the cable comes through to the slide has been cross threaded and forced a few times so not sure if the body can be saved. The piston/slide itself is very damaged and has areas of solder on the surface and large burs in the guide slot...
It is an AMAL carb made under license in France and there is a very good spared supply in this country so I hope to re build it so it works!

Clutch off and prepared to fight that gear on the crank shaft, taper fit with woodruff key.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Nice! Post a pic of the carb - I have an old amal carb somewhere in the garage I can donate if its the same type/size..
Re: Rust under oil, straight oil on its own isn't rust preventative, additives are put into the oil for things like rust prevention.. If its been stood for a while and the oil is "proper dead" (technical term) then it might have lost its rust prevention capabilities!