Replica GPS speedo

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

7osh
DDK Newbie

Replica GPS speedo

Post by 7osh »

Has anyone had experience of fitting a gps speedo? I purchased one from Sierra Madre, but the wiring diagram does not relate to the gps antenna. Essentially the diagram show 3 wires whereas the antenna has 4 wires. Help please!! thanks
Robneal
DDK above all

Re: Replica GPS speedo

Post by Robneal »

Got some photos of the antenna connections??? Normally a car antenna has 2 x wires for cellular connections for 3G 4G a GPS connection and a WiFi connection. Try looking on panorama antennas website and there is lots of info there that can help you identify which connection is which.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
H-G
DDK addict

Re: Replica GPS speedo

Post by H-G »

I'm fitting the VDO electronic speedo to my 356; it come with the GPS signal generator however if you need to IVA your car then the GPS version is not compatible and you need a mechanical signal generator.

If you have the VDO GPS set up then:

Red from GPS unit is 12v supply (this can be either per extant or switched, but if the latter it will take a few seconds for the unit to resetablish a GPS connection; if the former you will have a continuous small drain on your battery)

Blue from the GPS unit is to earth

Green from GPS unit is to the W terminal on the VDO speedometer.

I now have an EMPI mechanical signal generator (others are available but it needs to create 4 pulses per revolution) - https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/V340000 ... tartRow=99