Wild Atlantic Way (west coast of Ireland)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Wild Atlantic Way (west coast of Ireland)

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Just got back from a 2-week holiday driving down the west coast of Ireland in my 356C & thought I'd post a few comments for anyone else considering a similar trip.

The complete 'Wild Atlantic Way' route stretches from Derry in the north to Kinsale in the south - a distance of approx 1600 miles.

Although many people drive the whole route in one trip, I felt that to get the most enjoyment from the experience & to be able to stop whenever/wherever we wanted, the route needed to be limited - so I opted for the middle section from Sligo down to Kenmare on the Ring of Kerry.

We followed this route southwards from Sligo for the first week hugging the coastline as much as possible until we got to the Dingle peninsula where we'd hired a cottage for 5 nights.

Being October, we were fully expecting the weather to be wet, cold & windy much of the time but unbelievably we were treated to glorious (& warm !) sunshine virtually every day - a huge bonus.

The scenery in this part of Ireland truly is breath-taking & stunning views greet you round just about every bend - & there are many bends !

The 356 proved to be ideal transport for the trip - small & light enough for the narrow/winding roads we opted for wherever possible, spacious enough for 2 people & their luggage (plus the inevitable but totally un-needed spares & tools, etc), comfortable/compliant enough to cope with the often pot-holed roads & (almost) quick enough to put a smile on our faces screaming up & down various mountain passes with the sound of the exhaust bouncing off the rockfaces ... :wink:

The car got favourable comments everywhere we went - people seemed genuinely pleased to see such a car being used as intended - rather surprisingly we only saw 2 other 'old cars' the whole time we were away ... a Mk II Jag & a Triumph Vitesse convertible nr Killarney.

Door to door we covered just over 2000 miles - the car didn't miss a beat & required nothing other than petrol ... not even any oil in spite of quite a lot of 'spirited' motoring !

I can whole-heartedly recommend the west coast of Ireland to anyone who has been considering a similar trip - the roads that we took were largely deserted at this time of the year, although I don't think this would be the case in peak season.

Here are a few photos to give you an indication of what you could expect to see:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sladey

Re: Wild Atlantic Way (west coast of Ireland)

Post by sladey »

Looks gorgeous Andy - really beautiful scenery - and no-one else there!
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikEGw_kuuAs
Porsche Club Ireland [video produced by Irish Tourist Board] first car club to do whole route in 2015, do watch it and not just because my hands are in it!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Looks great Andy, thanks for posting..would love to do that in the 356, with the four of us and a suitcase on the luggage rack.

Great to hear it suited the roads, I can well imagine you'd need something small that was forgiving of the variable surfaces. Last car I drove in Ireland was a Morgan 4/4..it was jumping about all over the place on its cart springs! Out of my cars the 356 is the most reliable, economical, comfortable and fun..

Love the pic on the beach as well.. :-)
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Most interesting.
What about hotels etc?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
petric
DDK forever

Post by petric »

Looks awesome mate fantastic coastline
73 911T coupe
Lightweight_911

911hillclimber wrote:Most interesting.
What about hotels etc?
During the first week we stayed in a mixture of B&B's & hotels - all booked 'blind' via booking.com but influenced by on-line reviews.

All proved to be excellent - some were amongst the best accommodation I've ever stayed in regardless of price (& none were expensive).

We also had some superb restaurant meals - particularly seafood - including possibly one of the best meals I've ever eaten (& in one of the most unexpected places).
Andy

redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

I did the whole trip in my 3.2 Carrera ('73 RSR rep) plently of it in the video clive has posted a link to - and another short video on me and three other drivers. Highly reccomed the trip and must admit that the further you go south the better it gets. It was very hard work to do in a week but still, would do it again in a flash. Agree that widebody cars are not best suited but still seem to manage - but also mindful that decent ground clearance is required!!!!
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Glad you enjoyed it Andy and great to see you. Which restaurant did you choose In Killaloe in the end?

Cheers
Jon
Lightweight_911

A few car-related shots:

Andy

Lightweight_911

DustyM wrote:Glad you enjoyed it Andy and great to see you. Which restaurant did you choose In Killaloe in the end?

Cheers
Jon
We went to the 'Tuscany' Jon ...
Andy

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Wow, there's several calendar shot's Andy. Car and scenery looks fantastic.

I have always promised myself i will do this trip to the Motherland one day. Hope to get there in the next couple of years.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Uk911
DDK forever

Post by Uk911 »

Looks great, thanks for sharing your adventure Andy, and defiantly one for the to do list..Mark.
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

We did a similar trip in early October 18 years ago for our honeymoon. We did it in a Caterham 7 and had a ball. Great weather and great food.

Must get over there again. Thanks for sharing the trip.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
kvinyl
DDK slapper chatter

Post by kvinyl »

Beautiful shots there, I think I recognise Inch beach, Healy Pass and possibly the coast line near Black Head point? Would love to have spotted your 356 out in the wild, would have made for an unusual sight on the roads :)
1958 Ghia Lowlight 2.4L FI Supercharged
1959 356A
1968 911 SWB (project)
1993 911 3.6 Turbo
2005 E55 AMG Estate