Correct (?) Tyres

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Correct (?) Tyres

Post by jim_zzzz »

I just failed my MOT on my 73T and one of the failures was my cracked Fulda Y2000 tyres. I've subsequently found out these are quite expensive tyres to replace - what does everyone else use?
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Correct (?) Tyres

Post by Lightweight_911 »

There are lots of threads on tyres - depends on whether you want original size (185/70) or close equivalent (195/65) & your budget ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

Lightweight_911 wrote:There are lots of threads on tyres - depends on whether you want original size (185/70) or close equivalent (195/65) & your budget ...
Is there any benefit to having tyres different to the original size? In my head the only difference I could imagine with these tyres is aesthetics since grip should be similar at normal road driving speeds.
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

jim_zzzz wrote:
Lightweight_911 wrote:There are lots of threads on tyres - depends on whether you want original size (185/70) or close equivalent (195/65) & your budget ...
Is there any benefit to having tyres different to the original size? In my head the only difference I could imagine with these tyres is aesthetics since grip should be similar at normal road driving speeds.
cost v. aesthetics. There isn't really any, what I think as reasonable priced tyres, in original size now (look out for correct speed rating). The Fuldas used to be quite cost effective, and I ran them on mine for quite a few years. If you must have period look and original spec it's going to cost you £1500 for a set for Michelins. If you are happy to have modern tread pattern, you can get very good tyres from £50 up. I have some very good Toyos on mine which cost less than a single Michelin for the whole set. I would just go for something with nice progressive grip/breakaway and decent wet weather performance.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Ian 2.2S wrote:
jim_zzzz wrote:
cost v. aesthetics. .... If you must have period look and original spec it's going to cost you £1500 for a set for Michelins
How about the Pirelli Cintauro CN36s? Period size, period looks. Still not exactly cheap, but a lot less than 1500 a set.
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

How about the Pirelli Cintauro CN36s? Period size, period looks. Still not exactly cheap, but a lot less than 1500 a set.[/quote]

I just looked those up and not a bad suggestion! Thanks!
jim_zzzz
DDK Fanatic

Post by jim_zzzz »

cost v. aesthetics. There isn't really any, what I think as reasonable priced tyres, in original size now (look out for correct speed rating). The Fuldas used to be quite cost effective, and I ran them on mine for quite a few years. If you must have period look and original spec it's going to cost you £1500 for a set for Michelins. If you are happy to have modern tread pattern, you can get very good tyres from £50 up. I have some very good Toyos on mine which cost less than a single Michelin for the whole set. I would just go for something with nice progressive grip/breakaway and decent wet weather performance.[/quote]

the Vredestein Classics seem to be extremely competitively priced at around £70 each!
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

TR Revington list the Fulda at £154 each

Camskill have Kumho Ecsta V70 in hard compound which are great at £116 each

Vredestein Sprint Classics are also available from Camskill at £70.00 each.

If you want a higher speed rating then Pirelli P6000 at £96 each are not bad.
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

I was looking at V rated tyres, but just checked and a T is fine on H, so Vredestein Sprint Classics at £70 are a bargain (Longstone are advertising them at £125).
Strictly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Strictly »

im in the same boat, if your going to go 195/65 15, then google halfords auto centre, they are doing £5 off each tyre, and you get get a set of 4 FULLY FITTED, for £190 - thats either Dunlop Blu Motion, or Good year Efficient Grip Performance, both H rated (only £5 more for V), and both a B for fuel efficiency, and a A for wet grip, not that you'll drive in the rain im sure. You can check out some tyrereviews.co.uk as a comparison basis (im a nerd - lol). They are quite high on the list, for the price.

Only snag is they ask you to put in your car, they dont like porsche, so i had to choose VW corrado, to order them. I havent turned up at the centre yet mind, im sure its cool. You'll see what I mean.
petric
DDK forever

Post by petric »

I have recently fitted kumho v70 to my 73 car orginal size firm sidewall quick to heat and fantastic grip not a lot of tread ( like cups etc) but when it's used it's for fun not cruising p
73 911T coupe
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have just come off 50 section Kumho V70 which are I think the very best road tyre for grip on an early 911, stunning grip, but as said, shallow tread.

To soften the car off I have had Dunlop Blu Motion Sport, A rated for wet grip and 65 section.

Nice cruising tyre, quiet and about £50 each.
DEEP treads!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Strictly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Strictly »

911hillclimber wrote: To soften the car off I have had Dunlop Blu Motion Sport, A rated for wet grip and 65 section.

Nice cruising tyre, quiet and about £50 each.
DEEP treads!
perfect im just about to buy those (its a toss up between those and the goodyear efficient grip

I dropped my wheels in for refurb today (cookie cutters, too tight to pay 1500 for fuchs, lol), and the people will fit and balance a tyre, with new valves and cores, for a £5 each, so ive managed to get a full set of refurbed alloys, with good quality tyres for about £385 all in, thats less than the 400 i spent on one fooked fuch!

:compress:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »