Question???

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Question???

Post by 912uk »

Hi I have a 912 engine for my 356 with webers and the K/N style air filters are in a poor state. I tried to order new filters and they don't match the size of the ones I have ,so with a flick though BIG BOYS TOYS cat, and I find chrome air filters with the same chrome k/n type filter for only £17.95 each complete. Now the proper K/N is alittle larger, well the one Perfromance parts list is any way.

But BBT lists one for weber 40's which is what I have on the car. I can't see any negative pionts about fitting the smaller filters I live at sea level any way so it's not like I am living in the Scottish Highlands. Can any one see any down side the only up side I can see is saving money and they are listed for weber twin 40's any way..????

Also can some one please inform me about those trumpet things how do they work do you have to have them with the air filter as well????? :roll:
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Are you referring to the "pan-cake" flat style filters? When I bought new filters for my 40 IDFs I bought the cheaper alternative than K&N set up. See pic. These were cheap and readily available.

The height of the filter in the pic below allows the use of velocity stacks or trumpets as you call them. " velocity stack can improve overall engine airflow and boost both volumetric efficiency and torque. They are flow-contoured and are designed to reduce boundary layer disturbance as high velocity air enters the intake path. Results include improved air stability and increased engine performance.

http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
912uk

Post by 912uk »

cool Alan, I am going to get a pair of those air fliters then.
I can't believe how cheap they are.. going to get them from Big boys toys.
As they list them for the weber 40's
912uk

Post by 912uk »

cool sorted £18.50 each

Velocity stacks £9.40 but he is not sure if that is a pair or each ordering it all tomorrow...Cheers Alan..
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Anytime

Just glad to help

Alan

PS The other great thing about 40 IDFs is that they also made them for some early Alfa Romeros. I have bought these before for £10-£30 a pair. You have to block off the cold start and a few other simple things but they are the same carb!!
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales