Mid-year 911's... the next "big thing"?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

exc911ence
DDK Newbie

Mid-year 911's... the next "big thing"?

Post by exc911ence »

With the values of long-hood 911's reaching stratospheric heights, and unbelievably, the 912's following right along, it only makes sense that the 74-77 models should start rising as well. Not much differentiates the first impact-bumper cars from their long-hood predecessors (bumper aesthetics aside) and they provide a similar raw and lightweight driving experience. Properly built, the 2.7L engine has the power and the longevity to keep owners very satisfied and the car's slim hips and chrome accents just scream "classic 911".

So what's the trouble?

Why are SC and Carrera 3.2 values strong while the mid-years languish? Of course there are exceptions for exceptional examples, and the 74-75 Carreras will always be desirable, but for the most part it seems the 911's and 911S's from this era are the pariahs of Porsche-dom.

It doesn't make sense.

All 911's have had their issues so why are the 2.7 cars singled out as being the unloved ones? Silly. These are truly wonderful cars and folks are missing a really great drive by overlooking them.

Thoughts?

Dave

1979 911SC
oldtimer
DDK forever

Re: Mid-year 911's... the next "big thing"?

Post by oldtimer »

Not sure I agree that they are undervalued / cheap.
Tech9 sold a restored 74 Euro Carrera at Essen for 100k Euro last year , and Edmond Harris sold one for strong money too . I've seen unadvertised private cars , unrestored , with the owners looking for £30k + to part with . There are very few on the market at any time so the upward pricing potential is definitely there.
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

John, I think Dave was probably referring to the non 911/83 engined versions such as the '76S Alan was advertising recently for a very reasonable £28.5k (look at the work that went into it! No idea how he managed all of that for the price :shock: ):

http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk/galler ... rust-free/
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Ssssshhh !!

Dave - don't alert everyone to these 'bargain' models ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Just an observation,

In the beginning, before the age of the Internet, at the start of the universe, one of the main references for the 911 was Bruce Anderson's book and in it he puts the US 2.7 litre engine at the bottom of the pile for reliability and warns anybody away from those mid year cars. In fact, he suggests a large body swerve to avoid these cars in his book.

It's also the time of first real compromise of emissions over performance by the factory. The ROW Carrera seems to be the exception.
Still look nice though. That blue looks lovely but I would like a brown one. :?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It was really only the emissions-conscious '75 Californian-spec 2.7 models with their exhaust gas recirculation & thermal reactors that was behind the (un)reliability reputation ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I thought it was the pulled studs BA went on and on about

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
exc911ence
DDK Newbie

Post by exc911ence »

From a North American perspective, the cars are still very cheap. From examples I've seen for sale over the past few years, it seems they range from a low of basically free to a high of $12-15,000 for the nicest cars. With SC's and Carrera's selling in the $15-25,000 ballpark, the mid-years are being pushed down by the later cars instead of being raised by the long-hoods.

When these cars were new, they had some issues but are there really any around now that haven't had all of their demons exorcized?
Dave

1979 911SC
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

I have looked long and hard at the history behind the unreliability rep' and have to agree with Mike and Andy, bottom row studs pulling and snapping is the most frequently reported issue and more often than not with cars that originally had the reactors as an omissions control. These things spread disproportionate amounts of heat and appear to cause problems centered on thermal performance or lack of it.

UK cars no issue really beyond the normal wear and tear and ham fisted repair leading to damage. I believe any early car including the impacts (30 years old now) should be having timeserts or similar fitted and their crankcases checked for true center etc. My personal belief, a bad rep takes seconds to gain and years to loose.

Should have left mine standard......

andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

I watched a very nice gulf blue 74 targa with a full history and looked for all intents to be needing nothing go for $14.5K on ebay.com in xmas 2011/12. I couldn't believe how little this was for such a seemingly nice car. I cant remember if it was an S or not and I know lots of people are put off by Targa's but I really liked it.

I do like Gulf Blue but I am biased though. Nice Car Dave.

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
exc911ence
DDK Newbie

Post by exc911ence »

TheEasyLife wrote:I watched a very nice gulf blue 74 targa with a full history and looked for all intents to be needing nothing go for $14.5K on ebay.com in xmas 2011/12. I couldn't believe how little this was for such a seemingly nice car. I cant remember if it was an S or not and I know lots of people are put off by Targa's but I really liked it.

I do like Gulf Blue but I am biased though. Nice Car Dave.

James
The blue car isn't mine (sadly). Mine's more of a work in progress. :wink:
Dave

1979 911SC
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

You should keep an eye on this

Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

nick-moss wrote:You should keep an eye on this
That spent a long time on Pistonheads classifieds at a price of around £30k if I recall correctly. But it's not an 'S' and not a 'Carrera'.
The seller has obviously given up trying to find a buyer and settled for auction.
Now watch some damn fool pay more at the auction than the earlier asking...... :roll: :)

The car looks nice and a steering wheel and some correct standard seats wouldn't be too tricky to find.
Apparently it's been owned for a long time and has tons of paperwork going back to day one.
It's had 2 restorations during it's life and looks to be in very fine order.
If you like white and don't need 210bhp then I'd say that if it was bought well you could sit back and watch the value climb over the next few years.
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Ferry Man wrote:
nick-moss wrote:You should keep an eye on this
That spent a long time on Pistonheads classifieds at a price of around £30k if I recall correctly. But it's not an 'S' and not a 'Carrera'.
The seller has obviously given up trying to find a buyer and settled for auction.
Now watch some damn fool pay more at the auction than the earlier asking...... :roll: :)

The car looks nice and a steering wheel and some correct standard seats wouldn't be too tricky to find.
Apparently it's been owned for a long time and has tons of paperwork going back to day one.
It's had 2 restorations during it's life and looks to be in very fine order.
If you like white and don't need 210bhp then I'd say that if it was bought well you could sit back and watch the value climb over the next few years.

is that the car thats been on ebay the past few weeks .. description saying it has the same engine as the legendary 1973 2.7 RS Carrera :roll: .. when in fact it was an S which has a totally different 2.7 engine :roll:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B