Very OT - recommend a good 4x4?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

threefiftysix
DDK addict

Post by threefiftysix »

Ok, off topic I know but I am new to 4x4s and it seems we need one due to our new house location.
Looking to spend sub 20k, wanting something a year or so old to get some warranty.

General driving duties, some motorway travelling, country lanes, muddy driveways, snow etc.

My first reaction was a defender but misses not convinced on safety grounds. Any had a freelander? Anything else good to try?
myatt1972
DDK rules my life!

Re: Very OT - recommend a good 4x4?

Post by myatt1972 »

Probably not a great help but this caught my eye today.
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 21&t=41011
Ticks all the boxes appart from its age but at half your budget ?
Keith...

73 911e sporto
73 914 2.0l
86 928s S2
85 Mazda Rx7 (TWR)
85 Mazda Rx7
The Bonser fork truck
Volvo V40 T4 (200bhp workhorse)
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

threefiftysix wrote: My first reaction was a defender but misses not convinced on safety grounds.
I'm about to sell my Defender 110 TD5. I've thoroughly enjoyed owning it, but doing longer journeys so upgraded to a Disco.
Safety features.... Errr, it's got lots of seatbelts, brakes, and..... Well, that's about it really, so your wife's got a point. Luckily, I managed not to crash it during my 5 years in it.

I only run large 4x4s because I need 3T+ towing capacity. If not I wouldn't bother, as despite being a great family car the Disco costs £460 to tax and only makes high 20s mpg.

I know a couple of folk with Freelander 2s who seem very happy with them, but that Allroad sounds worth a look
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

one of the women at our yard has a new freelander adn really likes it. defeinitely more of a "car" than the older model!

can't comment on how it compares to a normal car, but if i were you i'd also consider something like a 5-series, A6 or E-Class estate with a second set of wheels fitted with winter tyres, unless you're wanting to do serious off roading?
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

I went through a similar search a while back so some of the comments may be helpful:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... it=cayenne
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

I'm very much in the same boat -we live a bit off a long country lane that is not even a D priority for gritting or snow ploughing, so even when all other roads are clear and dry our first mile or so is packed ice/snow/slush. Also I have regular significant towing needs. I have owned or used several different '4 x 4'. Experience to date.....

Unless you have some capability to lock the diff then you might as well just have front wheel drive and a shovel and sand mat/piece of carpet. I have pulled many so called offroad/SUV/four wheel drive vehicles along our lane with the old Series 2a, never mind the Disco. Land rover and toyota are by far the leaders here, with mitsubishi and isuzu close behind. freelanders are ok for themselves in snow etc., but are limited to light towing safely. Landrovers modern terrain response and hill descent controls are marvellous and easy and intuitive, unlike the many levers with coloured knobs in the old Series 1/2/3 landrovers that need a PhD to master.

Not sure what your wife's safety concern is with a Defender - in most accidents it's the other vehicle that needs to be concerned.

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Oh and from my time in New Jersey where prolonged snow and ice is more usual, but they still suffer the above freezing by day/below freezing a night problem we do......, if that's a major factor forget anything rear wheel drive with big fat tyres and a torquey engine unless you are happy to fit snow chains regularly. In any bad weather all the stuck cars were BMW/Mercs/Audi/Lexus etc. ...on our development lots couldn't even get up their very shallow incline drives in these cars. A lot was down to driving style (gunning the engine etc), and lack of preparation (not even winter tyres), but even with these, other people with small front wheel drive cars could get around easily with all season tyres.

My two cents as they would say over there!

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

BMW UK is bringing out the 4 wheel drive cars and estates now, as they have been doing for years on the continent. This won't help wiht your towing need, but if it is a case of having a cheap land rover series in the back of the shed for towing and 85% of the time, your wife could get by with a quattro/4 wheel drive estate on winter tyres, then that is most definetly a cheaper option, taking into consideration petrol consumption, insurance, CO tax yada yada.

I live rural and our village gets never cleared nor gritted. As long as I have ground clearance, I'm going everywhere in my 924S.
Winter tyres and if loads of slush present, snow chains

(the 911 has an advantage here: winter tyres + weight of engine at the back and away you go!)

At work

And driving home

Cant WAIT!

WOOHOOO!

Bert
PS: lokari's + winter tyres and your carrera 3 targa might do mighty fine!
:wink:
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

Shogun (or cheaper import Pajero). Great off road. Great tow vehicle.

p.s. Not Shogun Sport - that is a different car altogether.
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

I'm about 2 months into owning a 2005 Discovery 3. Fantastic car but a tad heavy on fuel. Cant fault it off or on road and cant really think of another car more practical. There is also a good owners forum for it.
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
threefiftysix
DDK addict

Post by threefiftysix »

Thanks all, food for thought. I had considered an Audi Quattro with winter tyres but I need the ground clearance. Not a big fan of the all-road, probably fits the bill well but I've always thought of it as neither one or the other. Disco is a good option but I want something with a year or two of manufacturers warranty, which I can't get at my budget. Freelander 2 seems to fit the bill and they seem to get good reviews.

Will book some test drives and see what is what. My heart says defender but the once a month I have to do a 300mile motorway trip is putting me off.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Quite a few farmers I deal with , run Hyundai or Kia's full size 4x4's . If you are planning on keeping it for a long time ( so residuals become less of an issue) , these are great 4x4's that come with long warrenty's + have very good towing abilities

Another alternative is something like the new VW Amroc double cab .. all the practiaclites of a double cab but now looking a bit smart

Alternatively do what I have done ... my ML has gone , now replaced with a 'normal' car + a cheap old Landy for those days when I actually need ground clearance , 4x4 ability etc

Just be aware , in an old Landy , every journey feels like a long way :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

What about a Cayenne?
DanG
Married to the DDK

Post by DanG »

I have had a few 4x4s in recent years.

From the agricultural Defender and Range Rover (terrible reliability) to the relative luxury of the German X5 and a Touareg.

The only thing I would say its that tyres make a HUGE amount of difference.

Let's face it, all wheel drive is all wheel drive. Some with fancy diffs and ESP electronics to stop the wheels spinning. But what really makes the difference is the tyre choice.

The RR had big wheels with road tyres as did the X5, which meant that when used off road on grass fields or in woods for shoots etc they were fun to drive, but spun the wheels and would not cope with anything too difficult.

Defender, with noisy almost solid tyres was the opposite. Terrible on road, but pretty good off road, but OMG the MPG!!!

The Touareg was superb, but was a luxury mix of comfort with some all season Dunlop tyres. Coped with absolutely everything that was thrown at it. From mud to some pretty decent snow - didnt flinch.

Somewhat disappointing that I simply could not get it stuck anywhere. Ever.

Get what vehicle makes you happy I guess and then fit some really good, properly grippy off road, bad weather, semi knobbly tyres.

Simples.

:)
DDK Member #0429
1970 911T