early_911
DDK forever

Tyres for 14'' Fuchs

Post by early_911 »

Any ideas . . . .
FraserMurray

Post by FraserMurray »

Phil,
Do you mean sizes? Can't remember what I've got on mine but I'll have a look tonight when I get home and post.

F
Fraser Murray
1965 912

fraser@ddk-online.com
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

think I had 185x60x14 on mine and 205x70(65?)x14 on the back, looked abit fat and chunky. That's why I swapped to a set of 16s, it goes around corners much better now.

They were Dunlop Sport and Fulda, 14's are 5.5'' wide
Last edited by Nige on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
early_911
DDK forever

Post by early_911 »

Tyre recommendations really . . . size and make.

Can't recall what the rim widths are for 14''

Phil
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

5.5 " wide.

There aren't many decent performance tyres available which equate to the original overall diameter (185 x 14" was used).

Best solution in the long run is to sell the 14" wheels (to the VW crowd) & replace them with a set of 15" Fuchs.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Nige

Post by Nige »

Lightweight_911 wrote:5.5 " wide.

There aren't many decent performance tyres available which equate to the original overall diameter (185 x 14" was used).

Best solution in the long run is to sell the 14" wheels (to the VW crowd) & replace them with a set of 15" Fuchs.
Exactly! I got £475 for mine with half decent tyres, the fella was putting them on his Splitty, think it helps to get em even lower to the ground. Though I put 16" Fuchs on mine.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nige, how do you get on with clearances on the back? I've got 7inch 16's running 205/50's and although I've got them to clear the arch flange, they are prone to touching the wing (but only if I've got a passenger on a bouncy road). Look pretty cool though, fills the arches up nicely :wink: .
Nige

Post by Nige »

I had to roll my lips slightly!!

I'm running the same tyres as you and they did scuff the wing alittle(still do if I'm being chased!)

I did this myself with an old piece of wooden hand rail, anything will do that's round and wooden. Old baseball bat kinda size. Its alittle scary at first but works a treat.

Jack the rear up abit, enough to wedge the wood between the arch and tyre. Then push/lever the wood against the tyre and roll the end around the lip, take your time and the lip begins to turn over. The paint will crack slightly on the lip edge but its unseen and make sure you paint it over again. There are places that will do this for which a rolling machine and some heat to prevent the paint from cracking.

Mine is a later 912e (1976) so I don't know if the body is a little wider than yours? it is a narrow body tho.
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

Hi chaps,

on my 914 with 14"fuchs, I run Dunlop SP Sport 195/70 at front, and 205/70 BF Goodrich Comp TA on the rear.

The BF Goodrichs have a smaller rolling radius than usual (?) so the car looks fine - not like top fuel dragster!

Rears are probably a bit fat (squishy sidewalls), but grip like a leech.

The Dunlops are crap, but it was all I could find!

I'm going for 15" when funds allow.....

Best regards
Robster