911/912 Hybrid

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: 911/912 Hybrid

Post by yoda »

That is an intersting if odd car. Looks pretty and could be good fun but I guess if you were thinking of resale it would be very difficult to move on quickly.

Would anyone be able to hazzard a guess as to what sort of power that 2.2E lump would make if in good health?

Thanks
The force is strong in this one ......
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

155BHP ish but it's running on carbs not MFI so could be + or minus a little assuming nothing else has been changed.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
Dave 50
DDK Newbie

Post by Dave 50 »

Sam wrote:
Dave 50 wrote:Thanks for the input about the car. Pricewise most pre 73 cars i have seen advertised seem to fall into the £25-35,000 bracket apart from concours and 'S' versions. Is this car priced according to the rarity of '65 models in this country or do they come up for sale now and again ?
The only reason to pay anything like this money for this car is if you want to go historic racing as 1965 is a cut off year for lots of upmarket series. For this reason plus a bit of earliness and rarity a 65 911 would be twice that money at least, over £100k has been paid in some instances.

If you have no such plans then a 66 - 68 911 is a much better bet.

69 - 73 cars are widely considered acceptable too, presumably by people who have not driven a SWB.

Great answers over a broad spectrum. I would not race the car so that answers any 1965 issues and all that means is would it be a viable purchase as a road car ? I suspect it would be a hoot to drive if the engine is up to spec but the future resale of it is a bit worrying as every car i have bought has been a 'keeper' and have shifted them on after a year or two normally showing a loss on the balance sheet !

;)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Has anyone seen the car in the flesh? Or any views on the body restoration based on the pictures?

Regards
The force is strong in this one ......
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

not seen it in the flesh

body resto was done by Mark Linstone...his website doesnt help much but apparently does q a lot of Porsche work

looks q a thorough job to me
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
jpinhorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by jpinhorn »

Cant believe I didn’t notice this tread sooner.
Its my car, just selling it through nadder valley as I am so busy at work at the moment.
Yes the price is quite high but then the car has had a lot of work.
Total bare metal strip, all the rust removed and new panels where required.
Just about every bit or rubber and part that can wear has been replaced. All the brakes, brake lines, master cylinder, pedal bushes, suspension bushes, shocks, clutch, gearbox oil seals, the list of parts goes on and on. Quite a few bits of the car were missing as it had been taken apart in the late 70s and left in boxes for years. Finding some SWB parts can be a bit challenging.
The paint job came to over £8000.
It was burning a bit of oil last year so I had the engine apart over the winter. Some Muppet had fitted 1.5mm second rings instead of 2mm. All the bearings were checked, nice new rings fitted along with oil seals etc. Doesn’t have a single drip now.
I took the mfi setup off as the throttle bodies were very badly worn but it goes very nicely on the carbs now. Still got the E pistons and cams along with the better E/S crank.
I built the car because I wanted a SWB 911 but my budget didn’t stretch to 20K plus for a rusty project and then the cost of the restoration.
The guy I got the car from only owned it for a short while until he got the £35k estimate for a good restoration and decided he couldn’t afford it.
Its not perfect but a fun car to drive, could do with a nice set of seats really to finish off the interior.
If any DDK member is interested in the car I am sure we can come to some arrangement.
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Shame they didn't ask you to write the ad as your version is a lot more informative. :)