911 2.2E restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks John,

If you don't mind i'm just going to copy everything you've done on my project (or at least try) - if I can reach the same high standard i'll be one happy boy! :)

BTW - thanks to everyone else who have added their comments to your thread - these tips are invaluable.

Cheers,
Darren
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

I thought it would be worth documenting the product we have used for the underbody protection. This product was also used in the engine compartment and in the wheel wells. It’s a Glasurit stone guard product. If you apply enough of it it gives close factory finish. It retails at about £30 a can.

I used this product as it was recommended by my painters but since it was applied I found that it had been recommended by a fellow DDK'er.
glovebox wrote:
barryb wrote:Hi

I am repairing the front underside of the car and need to protect the repair and match the original finish. I know that most talk is of Wurth SKS but it seems impossible to get from Wurth unless you have an account. Has anybody used Sikagard 6450 it seems to have the same properties and is overpaintable. The only difference I see is that it is not water soluble. My local auto distributor has it and it is available from Rustbusters in the UK. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Barry
Hi Barry, it always used to be a Glasurit product that was used at the factory. 1109-1204/4. This is also water thinnable. Its been going for years. It would be available from a good Automotive Paint Distributer.

Regards Mark.
I am assuming that Mark made a typo with his number.

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Darren65 wrote:Thanks John,

If you don't mind i'm just going to copy everything you've done on my project (or at least try) - if I can reach the same high standard i'll be one happy boy! :)

BTW - thanks to everyone else who have added their comments to your thread - these tips are invaluable.

Cheers,
Darren
Thanks Darren glad the thread is useful. Keep us posted on your progress.

Kind Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

johnM wrote:
jury wrote:Looking good John! Whats the deal with that door post/oil tank pull comment? :wink:
looks like the new rear wing has the pressing for the 72 oil tank pull in the door post. I assume the original would not have had this. I think I will have to over look this, its not the end of the world.

Kind Regards
John,

Your wing looks the same as on my December 1972 built 2.4, obviously I don't know if mine has been replaced previously although I would guess that this is how it left the factory.

Regards,
Darren

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Darren, yours is correct. The pressing was for the 72 only oil tank flap release handle & cable. 72 models had the oil fill in the offside rear wing. For the 73 model this feature was dropped & the oil tank fill was returned back to the engine bay, but the b pillar pressing were continued to be used as they wouldn't have wanted to change the tooling again.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
ian cox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ian cox »

Hi
The car looks very nice a credit to all.
It is great to see people restoring cars that are not the 'S' models. With originality the key the only way the prices will go is up.
I forgot about this one as well and had to correct it after is was painted. Over the top I know but i want it spot on.
Regards Ian Cox
1969 2.2s restoration nearly complete
1972 911S/2.5ST replication (sold)
1985 3.2 carrera track day shed (sold)
Barry

Post by Barry »

It was one of those things that flew under the radar: the only other 2.2's I've done were Alan's 'S's, plus his (now) slate grey SWB. All sport the same pressing, and to remove it wasn't requested.

The silly thing is though, that it would have been barely an hours job to have backdated this area. In fairness, when we discussed the project with the worst issues revealed, we did conclude that we wouldn't set out to produce a concours car, more a really solid, straight shell with nice lines and gaps. I guess you can always take things further, and you can always find places to throw more hours. Nevertheless, this is one area that I would do in the future.

Just shows how standards are constantly being driven upwards, which is a good thing I believe :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
ian cox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ian cox »

Hi barry,
You and I have spoken at great length about body work matters so please do not take it as critisism in anyway. Your work is top draw but as knowledge increases it will drive up standards. Its is juts a pain as it drives up costs to 'age correct' the panels.
I bet there is every DDK member looking at the offside door area right now :lol:
I gotten away with it with my ST as it is a 1972 car.
Regards Ian Cox
1969 2.2s restoration nearly complete
1972 911S/2.5ST replication (sold)
1985 3.2 carrera track day shed (sold)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

another one for people to check is their rear decklid slam panel .. there is a nice give away pressing there too which officially appeared during 1973. If this panel on a pre73 car has been replaced you often see this pressing ( John's car is correct in this area ;) )

pre early 73

March ??? 73 onwards

Sorry for taking you thread off at a tangent John :oops:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

And the difference is? The shape of the curve?
Nige

Post by Nige »

Spot the difference?

Red and white?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Here's another picture which shows the later latch panel difference a bit more clearly:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

What was the extra Blister for?
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:Darren, yours is correct. The pressing was for the 72 only oil tank flap release handle & cable. 72 models had the oil fill in the offside rear wing. For the 73 model this feature was dropped & the oil tank fill was returned back to the engine bay, but the b pillar pressing were continued to be used as they wouldn't have wanted to change the tooling again.
I was thinking they might all be the same (admittedly I know little) - is that not the same pressing I can see from the rear of the panel on page 2 of this thread?
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Darren65 wrote: I was thinking they might all be the same (admittedly I know little) - is that not the same pressing I can see from the rear of the panel on page 2 of this thread?
Hi darren my car had previously had rear quarters put on so they were not original to the car.

Kind regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII