Fuel tank breather pipe?

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

sdimbylow
DDK Seasoned Poster

Fuel tank breather pipe?

Post by sdimbylow »

Hi all,

Another quick question for you, your comments would be appreciated. Whilst stripping my boot back I discovered what looks like a fuel tank breather pipe but it is not connected properly to the car (missing bolt?) and does not seem to look right.
Does anyone know exactly what the thin pipe and U bend are in this picture and where they should be routed? If someone has a picture of this area in it's correct assembled position that would be really useful.

Thanks in advance...

Steve
1967 Porsche 912 Polo red
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

It's in approximately the correct position. It's attached with a screw. I will try and find a better picture.....

Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

I will look for a picture to help. Your car is a pre 68 car, Nick’s pic is a 68 car and is slightly different.
The set up you have is correct and there should be a small screw hole in which the swan neck is screwed to the inner wing. The small pipe coming of it is the breather the fuel tank. If you look at your picture there is a small hole on the bulk head, that small pipe goes through there and on to the fuel tank breather pipe.

HTH

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
sdimbylow
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by sdimbylow »

Thanks for the replies. Alan, the breather on my fuel tank is on the top, so putting the pipe through the hole then means that it needs to come back up again somewhere. Does the pipe then squeeze between the tank and the bulkhead at the back of the tank? Also, the plastic pipe doesn't fit onto the tank directly, there was some braided fuel hose connected (shown on the left in the photo). Is this correct?
sdimbylow
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by sdimbylow »

Here's a better picture of the area where the breather hose should be screwed on. However, it looks like the screw hole has been filled in with braizing material. Should this be drilled and tapped into this location?

Hope this makes sense and any replies will be most appreciated...

Many thanks,

Steve
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

I can get a picture of this for you later as my 65 car's breather is screwed on to.
sdimbylow
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by sdimbylow »

Thanks Atomman, that would be really useful.

Steve
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

there you go dude