What engine to put into a 6 conversion?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

[/quote]Do you have to go wide body for a SC motor?[/quote]

No- you need 'high' body - there is not really enough physical space for a CIS equipped motor!

Having done exactly this I would recommend for ease of conversion you tick with an early motor. CIS makes it far more complicated in terms of the dimensions of the engine - I needed to cut a section from the rear boot (and fabricate a cover for it afterwards), modify the engine lid with a slight bulge at the rear edge (there is no way you could run a rain catch tank on one) and heavily modify the mounts to get the engine to sit as low in the car as possible without causing clearance issues. I ended up c+2mm from floor pan level, and it only clears at the top of the car due to the above mods.

Don't get me wrong, late engines have their advantages in terms of strength, reliability and economy too, but I would steer away from late 2.7/3.0 unless you want to run them on carbs. If either comes up and you can't resist, I will send you photos and take measurements for you, but it will not be as easy as an early motor.

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

Jon

not wishing to cast doubts into your mind - seeing how nice your car is, do you really want to do this?

I had no qualms with my car - if it hadn't been rebuilt then it would have been scrapped, no question - but had it been a nice straight car, not sure I would have done what I did.

Mind you, the noise of the six is fantastic :wink:
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

davidppp wrote: six chokes in harmony..it makes it a real Porsche in all respects..
Hi David, not sure you are going to get many supporters on the 914 forum implying things like this !! Dangerous territory when talking to 914 owners. :cussing:
abash914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by abash914 »

Jon
there's been a lot on this on the forum over the last 6 months. Talk to Maurice. Been there, done it!!
Good luck - for me the BIG difference is the soundtrack. That's what to look forward to....
AA
Member # 323

914-4 KGV 25K
944 S2 G900 TGS
BMW 318 Touring - K9 Transport
MG ZT-T 260 SE V8.

BASS - the final frontier...
zoomiewoz
DDK above all

Post by zoomiewoz »

Hi all that 2.2 sounds very retro and inkeeping with the 914-6. I remember when i converted mine back in the mid 80s i was told to be whatch out for chassis flex over 150 BHP and gear box probs also an oil cooler for said box. All depends what you want to acheve with the car but i must admit that flat six growl is somethig else. Good luck and keep us all posted. Woz :shock:
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

So, I seem to have bought a 2.4T engine. I bid (on ebay) on the one being sold by grindon (on here) and won it, I wasn't expecting my bid to win so now I am a bit :shock:.
Hadn't really finished researching but I guess now I will need to get it home and inspect it before asking a load more questions about rebuilding & suitable upgrades (maybe). Or perhaps I'll just put it in and save the upgrades for the next project.
Watch this space.
Jon
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

ask me about chain tensioners...then leaky valve covers. It'll be something for you to play with or you can just sit there and stroke it's fan cowl lovingly 8)
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners