911E 2.4 Targa Sportmatic

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
kevdodd
DDK Seasoned Poster

911E 2.4 Targa Sportmatic

Post by kevdodd »

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26260

Now, from the photos the paint work looks good - I guess its amazing what a bit of polish and a sunny day can do. But the description says it will need a repaint as only looks good from a distance!

Does anyone know this car?

I must admit, after seeing a photo of a Chartreuse car on here a while ago, I think its an amazing colour - why anyone would repaint it I never know.

Can anyone give an idea of approx costs to do the kidney bowl and floor pan?

My concern is - whats a sportmatic like? I thought they were the unloved gearbox in a way due to problems with them etc?

Damn it, its tempting, but dunno if I wanted a targa, or even a sportmatic! :?
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

The price to do a kidney bowl is around £1500 with paint, including the inner and outer sill and jacking point. Sportomatics are like Marmite, there are a couple of diehard fans here, I like them too.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

A very nice car - I have a need for a targa at the moment - fair price too i'd say even with the £1500 spend to follow. Love that green the more I see it :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 911E 2.4 Targa Sportmatic

Post by pmjt »

kevdodd wrote:My concern is - whats a sportmatic like? I thought they were the unloved gearbox in a way due to problems with them etc?

Well, I'm one of the BIG fans of Sportomatic. Sporto is a really misunderstood gearbox - it's bulletproof as long as the oil levels are checked carefully and leaks dealt with quickly.

Sporto's bad reputation comes from the later three speed unit which was closer to a dog turd than a Porsche product :lol:

Four speed sporto is a wonderful box but, as Nick eluded to, not to everyone's taste.... a bit like marmite :-)

When you know how to drive Sporto, you can drive the car quicker than a manual version - but it takes time to get to know it and how to get the best from it.

Guaranteed, for the first three months you'll look like a total plonker when you go to rest your hand on the gear lever while cruising at 60mph - only to have the revs bounce to the limiter and suffer sudden loss of forward motion :lol: Everyone does it a few times but you get used to it.

Don't be put off by a sporto *just* because it's a sporto - go and drive and see how you get on with it.

HTH

Philip
--
DDK Member #890
kevdodd
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kevdodd »

:lol: cheers guys.

Have read the driving reviews of the sportomatic and seems they have plus's and minus's, like most I guess.

Seems they are noisier and less fuel efficient, but not by much and slower.

I think the hand on the lever and rev rising thing would catch me a few times at least! How funny that would be.

Out of interest, how do sportomatics compare with the standard manual? Am guessing a tad less?

Nick - that £1500, I presume thats without the floor pan?

Am torn. Price wise its spot on what I would liked to have spent. But torn with colour (which I can live with as isn't that bad, nice 70's sort of colour - BTW, is it an original Porsche colour?), fact its a Targa - would have prefered a coupe I think??, and also the gearbox.

A drive would be the best thing, but don't want to mess anyone about unless have good intentions of following up etc.

Grrrr :x Plus won't really have the money til EO Sept. Which I guess does tie in with the ad - damn it.

Ideally, I would throw caution to the window and go for that orange E but thats 10k more, gulp!

...just had a reminder of what the Chatreuse looks like.....ummmmmm 8)
http://www.rs911.com/gallery.php?fid=911RS%20Chartreuse
http://www.rs911.com/upd/index.php?m=11 ... category=2
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

a sportomatic is NOT a slow car. if driven correctly.
infact they were used for racing as they are very quick off the mark. you can hold them on the brake while your other foot is keeping the revs up.

they take some getting used to. not so much the resting your hand on the gear stick...you just have to pretend its red hot so will burn your hand.

but its really weird not having a clutch to shove your left foot on when you want to nip out of a junction quickly and change gear for that quick get away. several times i was known to slam my left foot onto the brake instead :oops:

i loved my spoto and would be happy to own another. BTW Bernie is a real guru of the sportomatic gearbox so if this car has been sorted by him then its a goodun.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
911ts3
Married to the DDK

911E Targa 2.4 Sporto

Post by 911ts3 »

I echo Helen's sentiments. My old 2.2 Sporto was a very entertaining car, and by no means slow. I found the change to be quicker than a 901 gearbox, and definitely much more so than a 915. After an hour's experience you'll be an expert.
Also mine was ultra reliable, only had to adjust the clutch once and check the level every 6 months or so. I owned it twice with an interim period of 6 years, and it was totally reliable during that period too, despite clocking a further 6000 miles. I know that the guy who bought it , is absolutely smitten.
I'd have it back tomorrow, and would never be put off buying a 4 speed one,
Regards
Steve
911ts3
Alfa Giulia Sprint GTA Rep, Lightweight GRP bodied car
1965 911 2.0 SWB Appendix K Rally Car, sold.
Alfa 105 Series GTA Rep
1973 911RS Lightweight Rep. sold
1972 911E 2.4 Gemini Blue sold
1970 911T 2.2 Sporto, owned twice, still missed.
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

If you go to ddk homepage
Forum
2nd sticky down. Classic 911 roadtests
Page 3
Scrool down
You will find a Road & Track comprehensive road test with detailed performance figures and driving impressions of a 911 T Sportomatic.

Richard
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
kevdodd
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kevdodd »

Maybe by slow, I meant slower (only that those articles mention lower top speed etc). Those were the reports I had read - all seemed favourable.

Am sure it would be good to drive.

Been doing a small bit of digging. Seller says he is selling after owning for 3 yrs, but he posted last year on here that he bought it "recently" which appears to be around Aug time.

I think I will have to contact him for more info as it is an interesting car and would like to know more. Just wonder why its being sold so quick and that he is getting gearbox sorted (which is a way must be a good thing!).

Now is maybe not the right frame of mind to be deciding though - my last "working" day is next week due to redundancy. Need a job first! :(
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

As the car is with Berny it's certainly worth dropping him a line for his opinion on the body. He is one of the few people that restores these cars, so he will know what he is talking about.
Price for the kidney bowl replacement wouldn't necessarily include the floor repairs, it all depends how much it needs. there are an awful lot of UK RHD cars that have been MOT welded over the years, and many have been plated, removing any trace of the original seams. I would also be a little wary of a HK car; it's a very wet region, and it has been in the UK for 10 years.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk