Change to For Sale advertising

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Change to For Sale advertising

Post by Bootsy »

In light of the For Sale etiquette being ingnored I am going to have to make a change to the way the For Sale (cars) forums operate.

From now on when a car for sale is offered the threads will be locked and any disussion with the vendor will need to be carried out via PM or email.

Hope this is ok with everybody?

Sorry to do this but the classifieds is the one area of the forum that creates the most complaints to deal with and I feel it's only fair for a vendor to have the oportunity to offer a car for sale without attracting discussion that ultimately detracts from the advert.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Good idea, I've noticed lock downs on for sale ads on other forums and they work well.

Obviously the seller needs to make sure they put a price, pictures and contact details.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Nige wrote:Good idea, I've noticed lock downs on for sale ads on other forums and they work well.

Obviously the seller needs to make sure they put a price, pictures and contact details.
yup agree
its not a major problem if they need to change something, they just need to let a MOD know or place a new (corrected) advert and delete the old one.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
julian911
DDK Fanatic

Post by julian911 »

Agreed. Only (slight) frustration can be if you have not already got all the photos, and then once you have placed an ad, you can't go back and unlock it and add extras things (which happened to me on IB) - such as a sunroof :) or if the car is LHD etc...
But generally, a better approach IMHO.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."

'87 Carrera
'58 Fiat 500
'59 Fiat 500
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

good idea
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Aaargh, the nanny mentality is coming to DDK! Most complaints come from advertisers who seem to be a bit cagey about this or that about their car.

Moreover, is there an option whereby the original poster and a mod can edit the ad? Asking to open up the ad and then relocking it is just.... frustrating.

In my experience, if your advert is describing the vehicle (type and specs of engine/gearbox etc), original and retrofit options , current condition and any work done to it to justify its condition, 6 picture minimum of the front , rear, roof, both sides, interior then that results in:
1. Serious enquiries of informed prospective buyers
2. Not needlessly repeating the same old story
3. eventually a happy sale.

As I am putting my maverick lateral thinking hat on, can we have a "marketplace discussion" place then?

Because this is after all the online version of a discussion between like minded minds whereby we have the decency not to break a members car down?

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Bertroex wrote:Aaargh, the nanny mentality is coming to DDK! Most complaints come from advertisers who seem to be a bit cagey about this or that about their car.

Moreover, is there an option whereby the original poster and a mod can edit the ad? Asking to open up the ad and then relocking it is just.... frustrating.

In my experience, if your advert is describing the vehicle (type and specs of engine/gearbox etc), original and retrofit options , current condition and any work done to it to justify its condition, 6 picture minimum of the front , rear, roof, both sides, interior then that results in:
1. Serious enquiries of informed prospective buyers
2. Not needlessly repeating the same old story
3. eventually a happy sale.

As I am putting my maverick lateral thinking hat on, can we have a "marketplace discussion" place then?

Because this is after all the online version of a discussion between like minded minds whereby we have the decency not to break a members car down?

Bert

I want to avoid the nanny state mentality, trust me.

It's just that there have been a few cases recently where inappropriate comments are made on a for sale thread which lead to complaints recevied (and quite justified in most cases) which can be time consuming to deal with.

Maybe a marketplace discussion is the answer?

I'm not sure. May be if the for sale etiquette was followed we could leave as is.

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Whilst I agree that some of the For Sale adds have turned into a book on their own, I think there should be an oportunity to discuss the cars that are for sale. As a novice porsche owner, part of what attracted me to the forum was the exchange of views and comments about.... cars for sale. Someone like Bert ( hope you dont mind me using you as an example ) recently wrote a pretty lengthy article about a LHD 911S - he had obviously seen the car and gave what has to be said ( in my view anyway ) an excellent description of the car. - it wasnt a plug - more of a here we have an X with this right and this wrong. - if you were to lock this down, we wouldnt have this kind of gold dust...

Perhaps, and thinking radically here, rather than lock down the adds, perhaps you could detail in the 'READ THIS BEFORE POSTING' Section that forum members may discuss your car that you are trying to sell and that if you feel it inappropriate you can either withdraw the car from sale, reply to the comment or in severe cases ask the mod to remove the comment.

just a thought.
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Bootsy wrote: It's just that there have been a few cases recently where inappropriate comments are made on a for sale thread which lead to complaints recevied (and quite justified in most cases) which can be time consuming to deal with.

I'm not sure. May be if the for sale etiquette was followed we could leave as is.
I understand your conundrum. Pragmatists like JG over on Ib.com just have the for sale adverts locked and deal with the issues (such as original poster edits) as and when they occur.

The polar opposite is probably the early S registry in the US, whereby, to my uninitiated eye, cars seem to be mercilessly dissected.

However, the latter makes damn good reading and either the car and seller stand up to the critique or a prospective buyer gets an idea whether it is worth valuable time to pursue that lead.

If there is a restriction, I feel that it ought to come with a recommendation of an "ideal for sale" advert, guiding prospective posters, so that you evade the typical

For Sale:

1974 porsche 911 with a 2.2 engine, green, 4 new tyres on alloys, bit of rust, drives great, bit of history, not being used enough.

On a continental porsche forum, there is a list such as:

- Type: Porsche 911 964 Carrera 4
- Model year/ registered: 1991 registered 1991
- Colour: Rubin Red -original repaint
- Interior: black leather
- mileage: 164.000
- History: Bills from 1998 onwards, service history stamped from new
- Remarks: airco, cup-3 wheels, cup mirrors, cuprohr exhaust, small dimple above number plate, 2 sets of keys...

6 pictures.

Best regards,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Nige

Post by Nige »

'marketplace discussion' area would be more suitable I think. Nothing worse for a potential buyer having to wade through a load of waffle that could be misleading or not applicable to the car. If they wish to discuss it, then do so in a separate area.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Bertroex wrote:
Bootsy wrote: It's just that there have been a few cases recently where inappropriate comments are made on a for sale thread which lead to complaints recevied (and quite justified in most cases) which can be time consuming to deal with.

I understand your conundrum. Pragmatists like JG over on Ib.com just have the for sale adverts locked and deal with the issues (such as original poster edits) as and when they occur.

The polar opposite is probably the early S registry in the US, whereby, to my uninitiated eye, cars seem to be mercilessly dissected.

However, the latter makes damn good reading and either the car and seller stand up to the critique or a prospective buyer gets an idea whether it is worth valuable time to pursue that lead.

If there is a restriction, I feel that it ought to come with a recommendation of an "ideal for sale" advert, guiding prospective posters, so that you evade the typical

For Sale:

1974 porsche 911 with a 2.2 engine, green, 4 new tyres on alloys, bit of rust, drives great, bit of history, not being used enough.

On a continental porsche forum, there is a list such as:

- Type: Porsche 911 964 Carrera 4
- Model year/ registered: 1991 registered 1991
- Colour: Rubin Red -original repaint
- Interior: black leather
- mileage: 164.000
- History: Bills from 1998 onwards, service history stamped from new
- Remarks: airco, cup-3 wheels, cup mirrors, cuprohr exhaust, small dimple above number plate, 2 sets of keys...

6 pictures.

Best regards,

Bert
I think we'll leave as is.

However, I will have to edit if I feel a comment is made that is not on. There was last night/today that was simply not helpful or constructive. It's been now moderated so no problem.

Nige

Post by Nige »

So you get all huffy, lets make a change and all that and now you can't be ar*ed! :roll: :wink:
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

oh shite. thanks alot Mr Boots.
trying to be helpful i've just been through and locked all the newer threads as per your original announcment.
now i've got egg on my face. :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Helen on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
julian911
DDK Fanatic

Post by julian911 »

My only(!) comment as someone who has advertised two cars, one on IB, and one on here recently, was that both were courteously received in both places, and people did what they said they would do - ask decent questions, come and see the car, very nice when they came over. I only had one problem from the PMs and then I think the person just wanted photos to add to his collection :), not based in the UK, and he was OK really, I just knew it wasn't going anywhere.

I think Bert's suggestion to the types of photos to take is also a good idea - sometimes you just forget(!) Actually John Glynn on IB has even coached some people in terms of adverts they have placed to get more out of the car in terms of viewings/interest.
Last edited by julian911 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Racing is life. Everything before or after is just waiting."

'87 Carrera
'58 Fiat 500
'59 Fiat 500
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Nige wrote:So you get all huffy, lets make a change and all that and now you can't be ar*ed! :roll: :wink:
trust me I'd rather just leave it as is. However the thing I can't be arsed with is when inappropriate comments are made on a for sale thread and I have to deal with the outcome.