The new grand Bentley

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

cubist wrote: can't see it having much of a turning circle unless it's on bags :wink:
It`s no good, I just can`t let it lie.... what are bags? :oops:

Mike.
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

One of my first lottery cars would be a Brooklands in Blue Black - love those things.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

smallspeed wrote:if i had the money my 1-off commission would be for something along these lines (forward to bentley management to be considered for the facelift model :lol: )

1) Traditional Bentley/Royce 6.75 litre v8, 2 valves per cyl, 1 big supercharger, and a 3-speed waft-box; If I had a Bentley I wouldn't be arsed with my car changing gear all the time, so just give me three gears; "town" "country" and "you're going down" for traffic light dashes (or maybe a CVT)
Check (almost). ..and with so many gears you won't notice it changing
2) A bonnet longer than a party political broadcast with a big silver B on the front (for "Ben".. or it could stand for "Bentley" too I suppose)
Check. You can see that bit it the clip.
3) Big diamond cut wheels hewn from solid lumps of steel, each weighing around the same as a hot-hatch for steamrollering the bumps out of the road
Check. Although we use a special heavy aluminium:)
4) A roof and tail line so swoopy it creates no disruption to the air as the car passes through it
Check.
5) A stereo based around a pair of class A valve amplifiers designed and made by someone who understands there's more to music than bass and treble
Check (sort of!)
6) Classic styling so British its borderline invisible yet impossible to ignore
Check :)
7) Black handbeaten bodywork on the outside, darkest oxblood or brown leather on the inside
If sir would like we can accommodate :)
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

what are bags? :oops:

Mike.
Airbags. As in all the best dormobiles, old lady step-up buses and parked kustoms... as opposed to a Sir Cliff bag for wayward bladder control :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

mycar wrote: It`s no good, I just can`t let it lie.... what are bags? :oops:
Mike.
Yeah -what he said
(I'm guessing at some kind of ride adjustable air suspension )
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
Matt black70
DDK forever

Post by Matt black70 »

Gary,you know you were thinking of borrowing a car for Goodwood :wink:
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

:lol:
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

for all you need to know about bags..
www.lowriderforum.com
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Gary71 wrote:Check (almost). ..and with so many gears you won't notice it changing
bit of an aside, but how come manufacturers are going crazy with gears at the moment; merc have a 7sp auto, i heard bmw are going for 8 or 9 in their next dsg/auto? and i think the new lexus m3-a-like has 8 too..

does it not get to the point where a CVT is better, or are they still too inefficient, expensive and heavy to be practical? I drove a lexus (shame on me) GS450h a while ago which had one and while it made for a weird experience, it didn't half get a wiggle on accelerating at max power/torque and i imagine it would be fairly efficient cruising at the most efficient revs.. i could see the benefit in something like a bentley/royce where you don't want to hear the engine anyway, but not really in a sports car unless you used CVT as "auto mode" and faked gears for manual (which would be slower)..

any ideas when the grand bentley is being unveiled? as theres no uk motorshow im thinking (hoping) it might be iaa frankfurt?..
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

smallspeed wrote:for all you need to know about bags..
www.lowriderforum.com
And here too:

http://tinyurl.com/muksff

:wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

smallspeed wrote:
Gary71 wrote:Check (almost). ..and with so many gears you won't notice it changing
bit of an aside, but how come manufacturers are going crazy with gears at the moment; merc have a 7sp auto, i heard bmw are going for 8 or 9 in their next dsg/auto? and i think the new lexus m3-a-like has 8 too..

does it not get to the point where a CVT is better, or are they still too inefficient, expensive and heavy to be practical? I drove a lexus (shame on me) GS450h a while ago which had one and while it made for a weird experience, it didn't half get a wiggle on accelerating at max power/torque and i imagine it would be fairly efficient cruising at the most efficient revs.. i could see the benefit in something like a bentley/royce where you don't want to hear the engine anyway, but not really in a sports car unless you used CVT as "auto mode" and faked gears for manual (which would be slower)..

any ideas when the grand bentley is being unveiled? as theres no uk motorshow im thinking (hoping) it might be iaa frankfurt?..
More gears is all about maximising performance, whilst minimise the dreaded Co2. Also the closer they are the easier the change points are to manage (i.e make smooth).

A CVT hasn't been built yet that would handle the torque :drunken:
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Gary71 wrote: A CVT hasn't been built yet that would handle the torque :drunken:
i'm putting this down as a plus point (for the car, not cvt's :lol: )
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Gary71 wrote:A CVT hasn't been built yet that would handle the torque :drunken:
The rubber band keeps breaking ??
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Mike Usiskin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Usiskin »

got to say, that white thing is horrible, truly foul. quite like the front 'treatment' of the green one, looks a little like a Morgan aero8 which is a good thing IMHO. what is it with Bentleys and footballers, chavs the lot of them
former owner, still hoping to be reunited with my STOLEN 1972 911T/E 2.4 . Keep looking guys

No Hydrocarbons were hurt in the sending of this mail. Thanks