Hagerty renewal - UK breakdown cover is now compulsory.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Hagerty renewal - UK breakdown cover is now compulsory.

Post by DIRKBROWNFINGER »

Last year the UK breakdown cover was an optional extra, this year it is written into the policy. It is only for the insured car, so it means we have to pay twice for breakdown cover to cover two cars. I have an AA policy that covers any car I am in or driving, but I cant cancel it because my everyday car wont be covered by the Hagerty one.

Not a huge premium, but Bonkers imho! I mentioned it to them that it was daft, and they said they made the change because people were moaning about it being optional?

I moved to Hagerty to reduce my premium by half, and now have to pay twice for breakdown cover! The EU cover is still an optional extra btw! Is it just me? It quite often is, so what say you guys?

Dirk Rantover.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

i get AA cover free with my Lloyds bank account so i don't NEED this uk breakdown cover either.

and i have just got my Hagerty insurance re-newal too.

BUT even with this UK breakdown included Hagerty are still coming out more than competative with the other insurance companies who arn't including it.
they also still appear to be a lot more flexable about having modifications or alarms fitted.
with EU breakdown cover at only £29.95 which covers all my 4 cars for a year. (AA cover quoted me £60 just for 6 days) then its a no brainer. IMHO

just wish they would cover my Merc in with the same policy but i guess then i wouldn't have my official no claims bonus on a modern car.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

Agreed Helen, the EU cover is superb value and if I manage to find the targa keys in the next 6 weeks I will be taking the cover out for my road trip to bon France! I think the AA policy may be even more expensive when you declare the age of the vehicle? I vaguely remember something about any vehicles over 11 years old with them when I did a Le Mans trip once - mind you most of the details of those trips are quite vague tbh.

Is still good value, and I am a fan of the Hagerty set up - its just annoying that maybe 40/50 quid of the 130 quid premium is uneccesary.

Dirk.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

umm, i look (or,have persuaded myself..cos it makes me feel better about it.) at it this way> if they are still alot cheaper than all their competitors who don't include the UK breakdown then they are basically throwing it in for free.

thats womens logic for you :roll:
member#1182
Project 911
DDK above all

Post by Project 911 »

I have been very happy with Hagerty, and fact that UK breakdown cover is now included didn't raise at least my premium at all. :)
1967 911 resto-project
dugsud
Married to the DDK

Post by dugsud »

Hagerty are great.....the best customer service I've come across in years. On the phone they actually sound like they are interested.....and want to hep you :shock:

Most unusual these days :lol:
Doug Sudron
83' 911SC
Triumph Tiger 1050
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

It's annoying if you already have cover, but cheap is cheap. And Hagerty is cheap. And good.

If you break down as much as I do, then you can swap between the two and save one of those pesky 'you are a drain on our resources' letters from the AA / RAC / whoever!
'68 912
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

A lot of insurance companies seem to be starting this and also making legal cover compulsory as well. The insurance companies make a margin on the extra cover so are using it to get in extra revenue at this difficult time.

P*sses me off though.

Ian.
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

What breakdown cover comes for 29.99? Is it actually any good?

In my experience euro-breakdown cover has to be quite good as you are usually stranded in somewhere er foreign with loads of kids and luggage. They way it gets dealt with is pretty important.

I investigated the cover that came with my Galaxy and compared it with the RAC. The RAC cover was expensive for a short term, but the Ford cover was useless. AND I actually broke down, the RAC were awesome and sorted getting us all back very capably. I was very glad I had more than the Ford cover.

Graham
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

well my 930 slantnose turbo broken down in Switzerland a few years ago and the AA were brilliant. got us home and the car followed a short while later.

in about 4 weeks i'm taking the 356a Police car to Switzerland for the 356 international. needless to say i am keen that we have the same sort of service available should i need it.
i grilled Phil on Friday about the Hagerty Policy and i now have the policy in place it appears to cover pretty much exactly the same as the AA.

if i need to use it i'll report back to you all how it actually works in practice.

as far as i can see all my 4 cars are covered for up to the 90 days i'm allowed to drive abroad. and it would also appear that should Larry and i decide to take a car each, then both cars are covered on the same policy.
member#1182
DIRKBROWNFINGER
DDK forever

I have had three absolute nightmare experiences with the AA at Le Mans! During the last one they attempted to send a taxi to me at lunchtime on race day to the main entrance! It took me into Le Mans to pick up my rentacar from the office which had just closed for lunch, we had to wait until 2pm before we could get the car and zoom back to Arnage just in time to watch the parade lap. Stress levels far above any other holiday experience to date! The mechanic misdiagnosed the fault and wanted to repatriate the vehicle for a blown fuse! The other one they left my cobra on a trailer uncovered for a month and did 10k worth of damage to the car - broken exhausts, six inches of water in cockpit, scratched bodywork etc.....The first one involved me conking out in my dads car with caravan going up the ferry ramp - it took 12 guys to push me on. Happy memories...

Glad I wont be using them again! Think RAC are superb overseas by all accounts? I wont skimp on Euro cover anymore, so I hope this Hagerty one is OK.

Dirk.
DIRK BROWNFINGER.
1970 911 S TARGA LHD.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I had a very good experience with the AA in France.

Paraphrased here http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ht=gearbox
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I just called Hagerty to add my 993 to the policy - I can't believe it's a year since I bought it.

I've added it for 9 months to let the renewal date replicate that of my other 911.

£215 for 9 months, Caroline and I to drive, not garaged, agreed value and 5,000 miles.

My renewal for the '72' and the 993 will be about £470 next year. A £200 saving on just the price of the 993 policy last year!

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

You're clearly younger than me Thomas - just taken the 2.4T off cover with Hagerty (who's not very organised then!) and put the 993 on from when it runs out in May and all for the sum of £7.21 additional premium through to August.

If I've still got it come renewal, the 993 and Charlotte's '68 car will be less than £350 all in - A Manning said they just couldn't compete.

Another very satisfied Hagerty customer - let's just hope they don't get too big that the excellent customer service falls away.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Ian Donkin wrote:You're clearly younger than me Thomas
Of course I am :P