930 turbo gearbox output flanges

After a set of 11's? Post your wanted adverts here.

Moderator: Miggs

charlieboy
DDK Fanatic

930 turbo gearbox output flanges

Post by charlieboy »

Hi, I'm connecting 930 turbo drive shafts to a 915 box but need the turbo flanges for the gearbox, anyone got any going spare or able to point me in the direction of a pair??

Thanks

STEVE
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI STEVE
the turbo shafts are now N/L/A and S/H are bad to find, the 3.2 Carrera ones will fit and then you can fit the covers on the end of the CV joint to stop the loss of grease. if you are tempted/offered G50 gearbox ones, thay will fit BUT are to long, and your gear box is a SC or later with fine spline diff?? or a early box??with coarse spline, if it is a coarse spline , you need big early shafts, 4x bolt and 2 dowel.
The other option is to ring Tuthill's as thay have them made now, fine spline 6x m10 or 4x M10 and 2 dowel fine spline.

regards mike
charlieboy
DDK Fanatic

Post by charlieboy »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that Info, very helpful!

I've just checked and I've got what I assume are fine spline shafts, approx 43 splines (must get to spec savers!!) and 6 x M10 bolts

Just to clarify so I can widen my search possabilities, you are saying that:

3.2 carrera with 915 box, shafts are ok to use (obviously assuming they are the correct fine spline/m10 bolts)

but:

3.2 G50 although will fit but are not acceptable because they are to long.

If this is correct I will then alter my search heading!

thanks again for your help

STEVE
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI STEVE
this is what you are looking for;

if you have the one on the left, below, now, which is a 3.2 you will be OK with the 10MM bolts, or have you 6X 8MM bolts and small CV joints??

the G50 are no good to you , unless you want to oil the engine with gearbox oil as the seal will not run in the correct position in a 915 box + I doubt you will get the drive shaft on as the flange is to far out of the gearbox for them to fit.

regards mike
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

What great support there is in DDK. That is so good a response.

Brings back memories when i put my 3.2 with 3.2/915 box into my 73T.
Got my 73 shafts/CV's to fit the box using turbo flanges from Brian Woodward's Aladin Cave of parts 15 years ago. Rare then.

I think the later (smaller gasket) CV's will fit the early drive shaft splines?
If so, that is the available/expensive interface solution?
charlieboy
DDK Fanatic

Post by charlieboy »

911hillclimber wrote:What great support there is in DDK. That is so good a response.

Brings back memories when i put my 3.2 with 3.2/915 box into my 73T.
Got my 73 shafts/CV's to fit the box using turbo flanges from Brian Woodward's Aladin Cave of parts 15 years ago. Rare then.

I think the later (smaller gasket) CV's will fit the early drive shaft splines?
If so, that is the available/expensive interface solution?
I fully agree, superb support and help, if/when I ever meet you mike I will definitely be buying you a pint or three!!

What I think I have going by the pictures and what I already suspected is:

SC Flanges on the box (approx 100mm ex. dia)

Turbo shafts/CV's (approx 110mm ex. dia)

I had wondered would it be possible to use SC CV's on the Turbo shafts? but I'm not sure if they would fit but worse than that whether or not they would cope with the abuse from the 3.6 engine?

Thanks again to all!

STEVE
MBEngineering
I luv DDK!

Post by MBEngineering »

HI STEVE
I would think SC, CV joint will be the least of your problems, with a 3.6 engine on a 915 box, and I assume it is a STD SC box at that??? which has done how many miles, or has it just been looked at, as a good 3.0Lt engine will trash a well built 915 box it not to long a time, with hard driving, it is not the BHP it is the torque through the box that creamcrackers the thing, I do not think the SC ,CV joints will fit the turbo shafts, but it is a long time since i messed around with the, turbo suspension to 915 box job.

regards mike
charlieboy
DDK Fanatic

Post by charlieboy »

Hi Mike, thanks for that, yes I guess you're right, CV joints probably are the least of my worries!!

I bought the car/project part done, the only part being was that the seller had gathered most of the parts together from various places!

The box was "apparently recently rebuilt" ...... I guess short of opening it up for inspection only time will tell! To be honest I'm not convinced as to how recently "recently " was!!!

Long term I'm thinking a change of box type will be the way to go, so not wanting to spend too much/anything on this box that I don't need too.

I think for now the search for drive flanges must continue, at least now thanks to your help/advice the search is now widened!

Thanks

STEVE