Newbie from Leicester

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

Del
DDK forever

Newbie from Leicester

Post by Del »

Hi everyone.

Am newly registered to DDK although i have been visiting it for a few years. I didnt want to register until i had one, and now (at long last!) i do. A 1966 912.

Many of you probably know the car, as it belonged to the legend that is Keith Seume. CLICKY

Keith, if you read this, you were absolutely right about having a smile on my face all the way home. 127 miles was just nowhere near long enough a drive home for me that evening!

The drive was great. So great infact that i was fooled by something... Every time i took my foot of the pedal to decelerate, the car kept going. I thought, hey this is great! You take your foot off, but it keeps going like its almost still on! It was only when i pulled into the services for a break and dipped the clutch and the engine revs roared up that i clocked something wasnt quite right. Because of the very high revs, i kept it in gear and changed down them up until a stop. Thankfully it was only a minor thing that one of the springs one the carb had broken. Having owned several air cooled VW over the years, i have to say this is the first time i have ever seen one of these springs break. Still not the end of the world by any means. I have "borrowed" the spring from my Karmann Ghia for the time being and the car is sweet as.

I cant overstate the following enough: Thank you for everything Keith... Your emails & replies, coming all that way to meet me, the efforts you went to getting car ready, giving me first refusal on the car, more effort getting the car ready, putting all that fuel in it!, coming all that way to meet me again. Thanks for everything.

Am looking forward to going to a few shows in the Porsche. We should be going to Ragley Hall as its been a few years since i went to a PCGB national event, hope to meet some new faces there.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Hello and welcome, from another Leicester DDKer.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I know I've said it elsewhere but..... welcome Del, you've got a lovely car there.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Thank heavens I can breathe again! All the way back (via Ikea with Mandy...) I was worried that something would go wrong, you'd hate the car, hate me, regret buying it etc, etc... I am terrible when it comes to selling any car, but one like this is worst of all! I did what I could by having the car MOT'd and felt confident having driven it to Germany and back last month, but still you never know how the new owner is going to get on with it.

I hope you and Geeta (sp?) will enjoy the 'twelve' as much as I have in my short period of ownership. I haven't driven a car which gained as much attention from other road users in ages, especially on a sunny day when that paintwork simply glows.

Have fun and I know she's in safe hands… :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

i'm so glad that cars has found a good home....and in Leicester too :P

welcome to DDK
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Thanks all.
It certainly has found a good home. Still smiling from ear to ear. Looking at it makes me smile but driving it puts an even bigger smile on my face. Can only wonder what a couple more cylinders would feel like! (One day!!)
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Del wrote:Thanks all.
It certainly has found a good home. Still smiling from ear to ear. Looking at it makes me smile but driving it puts an even bigger smile on my face. Can only wonder what a couple more cylinders would feel like! (One day!!)
well ok i admit the engine noise is better in a 911 but otherwise a well sorted SWB 912 is pretty hard to beat....imho
Last edited by Helen on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
member#1182
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Helen wrote:well ok i amit the engine noise is better in a 911 but otherwise a well sorted SWB 912 is pretty hard to beat....imho
Its interesting that you say that as i would never have known or thought that. My only experience of older porsches is "Wanting one my whole life"

Its great to get more of an insight from people that have had more experience of the different cars.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

once i get the 911t back on the road your welcome to come over and we can have a play .............with the cars :lol:

i feel a DDK bbq coming on :P
member#1182
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

Helen wrote:your welcome to come over and we can have a play .............with the cars :lol:
i only just 'met' you but like you already! lol.

are the dots there to fill in the blanks? :lol:

On a different note, do you know a porsche mechanic called Fred at a place called Motawerks (sp?) in Leicester? I think he's moved from near Sapcote to Saddington now.
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Del wrote:
Helen wrote:your welcome to come over and we can have a play .............with the cars :lol:
i only just 'met' you but like you already! lol.

are the dots there to fill in the blanks? :lol:

On a different note, do you know a porsche mechanic called Fred at a place called Motawerks (sp?) in Leicester? I think he's moved from near Sapcote to Saddington now.
heard of him as a 944 i went to look at was serviced by him but don't know anything about him though.
i take all my cars to Zentrum in Nottingham
member#1182